silicon

Silvia-15

ive just got a tube of shellys wet area silicon, and was thinking about putting a little bit around the bulkhead in my overflow.

it does say its not recommended for aquarium use.... but i dont plan to use much. would it be okay? or should i get something else... cheers

2 reasons 1 it may have mould inhibitors which can be toxic for fish also its not reccommended for permanent immersion, take it back and swap it for the selleys glass silicone its the only sellleys 1 suitable for aquariums(says so on the back label)

The label is very much correct. Wet area silicon may have some un wanted chemicals that will harm your fish.

I'm sure you don't want to wake up one morning to find a few floaters.

Use glass silicon. Much more suitable for tanks and non harmful to your fish.

silicne takes 1 day per mm of seal to set in general so if your glueing 6mm glass you should have a 7mm joint and therefore a 7 day cure time is recomended.

Alan is correct in saying he has used the tank the next day but its recomended to wait a week.

On a 16mm joint(frameless showers), I have found the silicone still wet after 3 weeks in the centre of the join

I guess everyone has there own way of doing it but I think many people use far too much glue. I glue the joints glass to glass with no extra glue between. The glass is all pushed firmly together and held there till dry. 99 % of the time a tank like this will not leak. A small fillet of glue is added to the inside of the joint to make it easier to clean (rounded corners), to improve the looks and add a little more strength. If you look at the imported tanks made in china they use very little glue, look great and don't leak. We used to make 10-12 600x300x300mm tanks (12 gallon) with a cartridge of glue. The more glue you waste, the longer you need to wait.Very large tanks are of course a bit different.