baby mollys

soky5

She could have any where from a few to 20ish, apparently more too but I don't think that is very common.

If you leave them in with parents and other fish they will probably get eaten. A fry trap/net is a good idea or another tank if you have one. I have also just floated the fry in a container in the top of the tank until they got a little bigger, if doing this they need VERY frequent water changes though, like a couple a day

You can feed them finely crushed up flake food or you can buy liquidfry (I think that is what it is called) which is a special food for fry. Also you can feed bbs (babybrine shrimp)

Sorry I am not sure how long til you can tell the sex lol

If this is her first batch of fry, she will probably have anywhere from 1 to 20 or more. First few batches of fry are smaller, but eventually she may have up to 80 or so each time! Mine are a little over a year old now and still have smallish drops (30ish lol) so I guess it varies from fishy to fishy.

If you want the fry to survive, get lots of flotating plant, like indian fern etc for them to hide in, and/or a breeding net to separate them as soon as you find them. Mollies are notorious for eating their fry, and it can be a little disturbing to see the babies popping out one end and immediately into the other! :o

You can tell the sex between 2 and 3 months, depending on how they are growing.

The females have a fanned out anal fin like this:

girlmolly.jpg

while the males have an elongated anal fin called a gonopodium, which looks like this: boymolly.jpg

As far as feeding them, put some regular flake food into a small plastic bag and crush it between your fingers until it is as fine as you can get it - voila! fry food :lol: the babies won't bother eating it for the first couple of days, but it is a perfectly fine food for them.

Mollies are attractive, fun, sociable fishies - enjoy!

hey thanks for your help i have 2 felmale in a tank all buy them selfs so when they drop it just the felmale do you think i can put them into a Betta Container do you think the babys will be able to get out of the wee gaps as then that would be a perfect idea thanks

and when should i start feeding babys after birth and how offen a day

and when will i no when the felmale has stoped dropping and isnt going to drop anymore thanks for your help

I always recommend a net breeder over a solid trap for fry. Simply because if they are in there for protection from other fish they'll be there at least a couple weeks, and the net allows the water circulation, filtration and aeration through the mesh.

Try feeding the babies a day after they are born, but just a little, they may not eat yet. Don't worry if they don't eat yet that you're not feeding them - there's plenty of food in the tank for them in the form of algae and leftovers which you may not even know is there. They'll come running at feeding time soon enough!

As far as how often - once a day is plenty for all your fish. any more than that and there will be too many leftovers which will rot, create ammonia and throw out the chemical balance in the water. Only feed as much as they can eat in 5-10 minutes - if there are leftovers, you're feeding too much.

And if the female hasn't dropped any in the past 24 hours, she's probably finished for now. They all take different amounts of time really, so there's no clear answer.

Happy to help! :)

Hi I got nearly 40 fry from my Mrs Molly not last Tuesday but the Tuesday before, 12 days old now. I was very surprised to see so many and equally as surprised to see how huge they were. Nothing like a Guppy fry and quite coloured even to begin with. Mrs Molly hadn't been with Mr for about 3 weeks as I didn't want him hassling her. The babies, still under 2 weeks old are in their own tank as I really want to feed them well with microworm and decap and don't want them competing with older fish. But could easily have kept them were they were, I don' think she could have eaten one whole. Before the birth I had condition Mrs Molly too, cos I had read that the fry would be large and that there could be plenty and I must admit she looks no worse for wear. Good luck with yours :D

hey there are no babys there and he isnt as big as she was she got smaller after i cleaned the tank she is a white molly with black dots how will i no she it going to drop will i see a black mark near her bum or just fat thanks but she was really big but now she dosent even look pregnant and has had male with her for 2 weeks

Gosh I'm not sure, this is my first time with Molly fry. As I said earlier my female didn't look much worse for wear after delivering. I had fed her up really well while she was carrying and she looked very healthy not overly huge like Guppy or Swordtails, looking at her because she is quite coloured I couldn't see a lot of darkness of fry before she delivered and was very surprised to see the fry and so many. Because I bought her from the Pet shop with her mate I have no idea how many times she has carried although I'm thinking this isn't her first time. Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable than I comes along to help you! I do know they carry for 45-60 days perhaps she needs feeding up?

I always recommend a net breeder over a solid trap for fry. Simply because if they are in there for protection from other fish they'll be there at least a couple weeks, and the net allows the water circulation, filtration and aeration through the mesh.

A solid breeder (or ice cream container or something floated in the top) is more secure, because fish can suck the fry out through the net. Not such an issue if you only have the mollies in there, but if you have fish that are a bit bigger, or corys or something similar, then watch out for it.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as feeding them, put some regular flake food into a small plastic bag and crush it between your fingers until it is as fine as you can get it - voila! fry food :lol: the babies won't bother eating it for the first couple of days, but it is a perfectly fine food for them.

Would grinding it in a pestle and mortar do the same thing or make it "too" fine ?