anyone live in gisborne with a marine tank???

fishbreeder

I have purchased a couple of pieces of hardware for a marine tank from people on trademe. Both no longer had tanks running anymore, but theres hope you are not alone!! There are a few people with marine tanks in the Napier/Hastings area, I am aware of a new reefer in the Opotiki area, then theres me in Whakatane and seahorsecrazy in Kawerau. Once you get to Tauranga and Rotorua there are heaps more people.

no not yet, ive got a small 22L tropical freshwater tank with a male fighter and two bristlenoses. waiting for some female fighters. i would love a marine tank and have some schooling fish and some "nemos". but the whole sump idea sound too damn hard. i have a aqua one tank for my tropical and it apparently can be used for saltwater too but someone told me the tank is crap and cant do saltwater. all the LARGE tanks in local fish shop all have ontop filters which are meant to be used for marine. im not sure about doing a large saltwater or freshwater tank.

Our first tank was an Aquaone AR980. Changed it from freshwater. Good starter tank but definitely has its limitations.

Persevered with it for 12 months then upgraded it to a 5ft'er and turned the AR980 into a sump.

Difference was like night and day. Don't regret it at all. BUT we have gone from 3 freshwater tanks to one marine one and it's not big enough. Next one will be a cube 1.5m x 1.5m x 700 high!!!!!

...all the LARGE tanks in local fish shop all have ontop filters which are meant to be used for marine.

No good marine tanks use filters - they use protein skimmers. A lot of tanks claim to be suitable for marine (in the sense that they won't corrode if you put saltwater in them) but in reality they are totally unsuitable for all but the most basic of corals and hardiest of fish - they really are a waste of your money. If the sump idea sounds too hard then you can buy an 'all-in-one' like a Red Sea Max, but be prepared to pay a premium for the convenience. Conventional tanks with a sump is still the best way to go, and with all due respect if you aren't prepared to learn about them and other marine specific equipment and techniques you are unikely to have much fun with a marine tank. Keeping marine animals (fish and corals) takes a far greater commitment in terms of time, money, and knowledge than freshwater, but in my opinion the rewards are greater too. Take the time to learn about it before you start and you will make better buying decisions and enjoy a lot more success. If you look for a cheap and cheerful budget 'shortcut' you'll either end up with very disappointing results, or end up having to chuck it in the bin and buy decent gear anyway.

• 1 month later...