help wanted setting up a basic marine tank

fishbreeder

thanks, how do i set it up? where do i get coral from? anemones? clownfish? bluetang? ive seen some sumps and they look complex. i worked a few years ago in a aquarium and they used a sand filter, very easy to maintain. can i get one of those for a small tank, its just a pipe coming out to a sand filter then going back up to the tank. the water is all contained in pipes or filter, not sitting in another tank under main one.

can i have a small marine tank, like 2 feet long? i thought it would have to be huge. or can i make a marine tank out of any size tank. how do i keep it saltwater?? thats a big question.

how big do i need to be to breed clownfish or bluetang and have some seahorses??

thanks

dominique

Blue tangs and most/all tangs would get to big for a 2 foot tank. Clownfish are fine in smaller tanks. :D You can't have seahorses with fish, as the fish will out compete them for food. Anemones and corals etc can be bought in pet shops, but make sure you have the correct lighting levels some corals require more light like acro's, mushrooms are fine under lower light. You can either use NSW or ASW, (natural salt water or artificial saltwater). Artificial can be bought at petstores, and you have to mix it with freshwater, others myself included use NSW, which is saltwater just collected from the ocean. I would reccomend you get a good protein skimmer though. And don't skimp on the cost :D :bounce:

why do i need a sump? why can i not use a filter like i do with my tropical freshwater tank?

Because you aren't trying to keep freshwater creatures. Filters are a very bad idea in a marine set-up because they trap crud within the system, they don't remove it like a skimmer does. You simply cannot cut corners with marine - if you are unsure of the technology, buy a second hand Red Sea Max or something :wink:

and that is a what??? my fish shop sells aqua one tanks that have a filter that runs water over a carbon cartridge then through a black sponge then over ceramic bio noodles then back into the tank. it says in the book and on the box that is suitable for salt water. so i was confused.

and that is a what??? my fish shop sells aqua one tanks that have a filter that runs water over a carbon cartridge then through a black sponge then over ceramic bio noodles then back into the tank. it says in the book and on the box that is suitable for salt water. so i was confused.

Check your PMs :wink: