Foam on the water

Lucas

Sorry for the bad pun. My little 37L tank has had an ongoing problem with foam forming around the rim of the tank. Can anyone say what would be causing this?

It is a planted tank with 2 serpae tetras and 1 small bristle nose. AquaClear 150 with standard foam block and filter floss at the top. 1 Large piece of wood (this could be bad?).

Yep, you're probably right :oops: . At the moment, it gets a vaccuum every other week and about 1/4 water change every week. The foam still seems to build up within a couple of days. I'm just surprised at how quickly the water spoils!

Perhaps over feeding? The tetras get approx 3-4 tetra-color granules per day and the bristle nose gets half a pleco spirulina disk per day.

Possibly the wood.

I have a large container outside with lots of wood in it and when I put the hose over it to top it up, it bubbles up heaps.

If your filter is a hang on the back style it could be doing the same??

Is your water coloured by the leeching tannins from the wood??

HTH

Supasi, I doubt it is the wood.

I guess your wood is outside and in the sun? Probably bubbles of gas created by the various biofilms/algae/bacteria etc and the effects of the warm water.

Brown water/tannins are not a problem. More an aesthetic thing, some people like it, some don't.

I am still sticking with the most likely option: more water changes ;)

Supasi, I doubt it is the wood.

I guess your wood is outside and in the sun? Probably bubbles of gas created by the various biofilms/algae/bacteria etc and the effects of the warm water.

Brown water/tannins are not a problem. More an aesthetic thing, some people like it, some don't.

I am still sticking with the most likely option: more water changes ;)

Yeah im doubting it too.

Just some ideas