upgrading memory on laptop??

imsweet

HI again :) looking at purchasing an Asus L3000D, laptop, with 256 MB. can you get them upgraded (if this is the correct term) to the 512MB? or more? if so, where do i take it for that and roughly how much does it cost? Just asking as have been recommended to get a certain memory size on the computer for what i want it for.

:bow: thanks in advance :bow:

Need to research the specs on the laptop ie what the motherboard can handle and stick the right type of ram in there, also stick the faster type in there.. Doing it is easy there will be a cover on the back one bigger one for HDD another smaller longer one for ram open it and replace the ram..

You need to be aware of ESD though and wear an earth strap or have yourself earthed somehow to avoid damaging the ram or laptop..

ram chip is the actual stick of memory, dual channel is running two identical sticks of ram (compared to running a 256 and a 512)side by side - sytems perform better this way

you are best to buy 2 x512 sticks and just "part with" the original .. if you're going to upgrade you might as well do it right ... and ram is cheap as "chips" these days

512MB 200 Pin DDR PC2100 266MHz SODIMM < is what you are after - not to sure of where to direct you in wangavegas... if you were in welly I'd install ot for you for free

hopefully there might be a tech savvy young lad on this site in your area who can do it for a fish or something (once you buy the ram lol)

:wink:

OK.. a quick bit of research.

Your machine should have 2 memory slots, and if it has the original memory, one will be free.

It will take any combination of 128, 256 or512mb memory modules, for a max total of 1gb of RAM.

You may have trouble finding the exact memory, but a faster speed module should generally work.

What you are actually looking for is "266MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 SO DIMM " Also called PC2100 DDR. I would just drop in a 512mb module for a total of 768mb of RAM.

Any good computer store should be able to supply one, although it may be have to be PC3200 spec and they may have to order it in as it's an older type.

Hopefully not too much Jargon - but this is my day job :roll:

Ian

Edit: Running 2 x 512 modules will work slightly better, but it will cost twice as much, and you probably dont want to throw too much cash at an old laptop.