We have bullies!

preacher

Well at least one anyways. I have so far spotted 3 fry in the pond that got caught by accident over a month ago when I was out hunting for shrimp. I wasn't sure what they were at first but one has doubled in size and is definately a bully.

I haven't seen a lot of my fish of late, lost one goldfish to a cat? and one Galaxiid to a goldfish (I think it was dead already mind). The other Galaxiids seem to be growing nicely. Not much bully activity, but then the pond plants have exploded with growth and covered the pond nicely. I suspect its just too warm for them to be active much except in the dark of the night.

Oh well, at least they seem happy.

P.

Awesome! :bounce:

THose fry grow fast once they get to a certain size. I have a fry (singular) that hatched in mid-November and seemed to stay the same size for ages. In the last two weeks it has gone from "OMG I can see its fins!!" to getting so big it is showing slight colouration. It is maybe 12mm long.

Of course being of a size that can eat a whole lot more helps greatly.

And what of the shrimp? Did they survive?

The shrimp seem happy enough. I put them in the upper pond as the bottom one has an abundance. I transfered one of the crays from the lower pond to the upper since their excavations provide cover for other species like the bullies. Don't know if its still up there, I haven't seen it in a while, mind you with the duck weed and the lily its hard to see anything much. The shrimp in both ponds are very active though. :)

P.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I have been looking for freshwater shrimp in the Wellington area for my aquariums, when I lived in Hawkes bay I caught some up there. Now I have another tank and wanted half a dozen for it. I tried silverstream and some streams in Karori and happy valley but no luck. Do you know of any good places to catch them?