Bug Repellant + Fish???

jaymanson

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the search doesn't seem to be working!

I have a large Juwel freshwater aquarium in my lounge. Unfortunately, my lounge has also yet again become grand central station for flies this summer - it's driving me crazy!

In previous years, we've hung those sticky fly catchers from the ceiling, but we can't find anybody who sells them now and they look ugly anyway. We've also tried those stick-on bug-killer flowers for the windows, but they've proven to be pretty useless. Armed with my zap-bat, I'm the most effective fly killer in the house at the moment!

I'd love to get one of those plug-in or timed release sprays, but they all warn that they are harmful to fish. Does anybody know of one which is safe to use? Would these be safe enough if I ensured they were not set up directly near the tank?

i have the eco mist(away from fish tanks)and no deaths(fish tanks are also covered) and when the can runs out we spray flies but first we cover all tanks and open windows coz it very strong smelling(i dont buy the odourless one coz i dont no how much the room has toxic in it)but then again the ecomist runs 24/7

i have the ecomist in lounge with one fish tank,two dragon tanks,fish bowl in kitchen,dragon tank in dining room and the other fish tanks are upstairs plus all the live food are stored in cupboard under tank and no deaths there too but now that i think about it our house always has all the windows and doors open so that will help ventalate it

just saying i have no problems with fly spray(and when we run out we have loads of flies)

Quite a few members seem to use the automatic sprayers with no problem. I spray for flies in my home but not at the same end of the room where the tank is situated. My tank has a glass lid with a wooden one over top of that so I doubt it would matter but I prefer to play safe

I have a robocan and it is quite close to my fish tank, although is has a very good lid and I have had no problems.

Am about to get some newts though and am worried about how to seal the glass lids on it properly so none of the spray gets in. The way the tank was made means there are small gaps at the front and the back and a nice round hole to put my finger in to lift the lid off. Was thinking some mesh would be good for air circulation and to keep the newts from escaping but not so good for keeping the fly spray out :-?

Thanks for all the advice - I'm going to give it a shot and set one up in in the next room I think, and see how we go!

My tank is complete so it still has the properly fitted molded plastic lid on it - no holes, etc. All my fish are fully grown adults (5 angels, 2 plecs, 2 red tail sharks and a black ghost knife) - there's no little ones in there (apart from when I buy a few neons as a treat for Mr Shadow :o ), so I'm hoping if a little pyrethrin got in the tank, these guys would possibly have a better chance of avoiding ill effect!

Will let you all know if there is any issues (hope not - I'll be gutted)!

Thanks again :D

Hey, How is the automatic can going? I just got a mortein one and wanna give it a go, my partner is concerned but I think it will be sweet and from the replys posted here it sounds like its worth a shot, I think as long as it is the other side of the room of the tank and the tank is well covered it wont be a prob, I spray the flys all the time and it never affects my fish.

However I think its important to remember that it also depends on how often you change your fishtank water too :D

anyhow please post reports!! Id like to know what others have done and had any problems, thanks :) :bounce: