Where to eat in Christchurch

Jenna

I've lived in Christchurch about 2 1/2 years now but haven't been out many places for dinner.

Now my neighbour has just sold her house, wants to take a group of us out for a really great dinner, and has enlisted my help in finding the right place to go.

There will be about 8 of us I think, and we're after somewhere we don't have to be too sedate or dressed up to the nines - if someone tells a funny joke, we don't want to be frowned at for laughing too loudly :wink:

for examples, I've been thinking about somewhere like Cooking With Gas across from the arts centre, or a good teppan-yaki restaurant to make the night an experience, but would love a few more ideas

Any suggestions or recommendations? Any help appreciated! :D

Good places

Nandos:

The BEST char grilled chili chicken in town, guaranteed. $20 will get you a bottle of fizzy, half a chicken and a bowl of the best chili chips EVER! Most of their meals are under $20. You can customise your order from "lemon and herb", to insanely hot. Will fill you up, but it's sooo good you'll want to do it again!

Ruchees:

The best Indian in town, well, as far as I'm concerned. A little more posh, but they're all really nice in there. Plus it's usually never busy. About $20 for a curry and a naan - plus you get free poppadoms and rice. You won't leave with an empty stomach guaranteed!

Thai Smile:

Quite possibly the best Thai in Christchurch. Very refined menu with magnificent flavors. Bit more pricey, but definitely worth it if you're feeling like trying something radically different.

Tutto Bene:

Great Italian food. Prices were around $20+ and enough to fill you up. Good atmosphere when it's busy.

@Tony's:

Pretty epic Japanese teppan-yaki, some nights they do a "buffet" meal. Where they'll serve you up a bit of everything, then afterwards they'll come around and ask you for whatever else you'd like. A bit expensive and maybe a little too sedate, but otherwise it's very nice.

Joyful Chinese restaurant:

My favorite Chinese joint. Good prices, excellent food and a very popular place. You wont leave here hungry I can tell you that! It's got the usual "westernized menu" of the usuals, but also a very lengthy list of traditional, and unusual, menu items.

The Bog:

If you're after a good pub meal, this is the place. All the usual favourites for around $20. Great food, the service is a little slow but the food more than makes up for it.

Places we WOULDN"T visit again:

Winniebagoes - Terrible service from everyone there, plus we paid nearly $30 for something I'd consider a snack.

Henry Africa - "weird food, crap service and far too expensive for what it was".

:D:D:hail:

i'd agree with your you on tuttos, and tonys great food. I've also had poor service at winniebagoes and henry africas (and bad food). I also like lone star (but you can't book the tables), little india is nice, somewhere really really fancy (and expensive) is rotherhams, the food is fantastic but its more of an intimate fine dining afair

Wow I'm surprised but happy to hear so many recommendations for Tutto Bene!

Happy because that seems to be where my neighbour wants to go after talking to a few people. Surprised because every review I've seen online has been average to bad! See http://www.dineout.co.nz/restaurant.php?rest=3864&Restaurant=Tutto_Bene

I guess the ones who weren't happy with their experiences were the only ones who bothered to write reviews. Sad really

Thanks to all who recommended Tutto, earlier today I was talking my neighbour out of wanting to go there but now I'm looking forward to going there... and I'm going to make sure that if my night is a good one, they will see a review which reflects it! :)

a new restaurant called wagamamas has opened on the strip its the first 1 in nz . they have a westernised japanese menu i ate there at the dry run before they opened . they dont sell sushi but will open ur eyes to a few different tastes