Fish Hunting Writeup: Turitea Stream

Stella

I went spotlighting tonight with PeteS and Andrew in the Turitea Stream by Massey Uni.

Got there just as it was getting dark and I thought we would have quite a wait before we would see anything, but the fish were out already!

Saw HEAPS of redfin bullies, particularly males.... Such pretty fish!

The biggest bullies were either commons or Cran's.

Saw a number of eels. Probably at least four.... eels look much the same really... Pete caught a nice foot-long shortfin eel. Never seen any big ones in there, which is rather sad.

A few crayfish (one quite big), a couple of inanga.

The exotics included a large number of troutlets and one six-inch trout and a few perch.

The BIGGEST EXCITEMENT was seeing and ALMOST catching a great big TORRENTFISH!! I have never seen one in there but have heard they are there. It was under a branch and we nearly got it, but it scooted away at the last minute. It had extremely prominent markings, and although we didn't see its whole body, we are 90% sure it was a torrie, and can't really think of anything else it could have been. :bounce:

Oh, and I managed to catch not one but TWO gumboots full of water.... mmmmmmmmm! :roll:

Palmerston North, sorry.

(I'm keen but I am not traveling to Auckland for one night of spotlighting! :lol: THough I was there last summer for a whole week's worth of it... 8) )

Redfins are really neat wee fish. The females are pretty average (they don't have the red) but the males are stunners.

If the stream was alive and well it would be crawling with eels, galaxiids and have a hell of a lot more crays (and everything else). It is a lot better than other streams, but is doing ok. Ironically the water company upstream has contributed to its decline - 'turning off' the stream at times, or backflushing and polluting it with aluminium.