what is needed to transport bettas around nz?

antznz

Hi, you can get poly bins for $6-10 at plastic box or similar. Bag each fish seperately, seal up and courier. You wont need heat pads or anything at this time of year. North Island courier will be about $15-20 depending on the size of the box.

You'll need polyboxes - I get mine from Barnes Plastics, Church St, Penrose. Boxes vary in price from about $4 - $8. You might be lucky and get some from your chemist (mine sends theirs back), or maybe your doctors, or even the supermarket (good for big boxes). Decent quality fish bags are necessary and I always use a heatpack but its up to you. I use NZ Couriers - based also in Penrose - and rarely have a problem with delivery. I deliver to their depot late afternoon for the overnight delivery, as they only do pickup in the morning. As long as you make it clear to them that you know it is your responsibility if anything happens to the fish they will take it. If you ring they normally say no, if you arrive there its okay. I label the boxes clearly with 'LIVE FISH'. Make sure you put the delivery address and a daytime contact phone no. on it. They do not do rural delivery.

Cost is generally $14.50 from Auckland to anywhere in the NI, and I think $29 to the SI. If going to the SI you will need to use a heatpack. These costs are for boxes under .25 cubic metres and weighing under 5kg. Oversized you need to double the price.

Do not feed the fish within 24hrs of sending, I do not use ammo lock but I do make sure I have waterchanged that day or the previous day. Add water and allow for a decent amount of air in the bag. Seal tightly.

Not hard to do but can be nerve wracking. I send the track and trace no. to the purchaser as it is up to them to do the chasing once the fish arrive at the depot as I am at work and can't check during work hours to see where they are. The worst I find is when the receiver does not let you know that they have the fish in hand.

• 2 weeks later...