natives in a tank

sas137

just sum simple Qs

i got a 900ltr tank and would like to try some natives

i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a giant bully, but where? i havent been able to find any arround my part of the woods.

(TeAroha) plenty of enunga and smaller bullys and kura. :)

how many kokapu would be able to be housed in a tank that size and coul you keep the smaller native trout with the larger giant kokapu

just sum simple Qs

i got a 900ltr tank and would like to try some natives

i wouldnt mind getting my hands on a giant bully, but where? i havent been able to find any arround my part of the woods.

(TeAroha) plenty of enunga and smaller bullys and kura. :)

how many kokapu would be able to be housed in a tank that size and coul you keep the smaller native trout with the larger giant kokapu

1. How hot does the tank get? They need COLD water

2. Trout are not native

Hello,

As HaNs says, COLD water is the key. Below 20 degrees preferably, which is difficult right now. Though a 900lt tank sounds enormous and would be more stable.

There are a lot of threads on keeping various natives here, it might be helpful for you to go through the archives.

Firstly, kokopu are threatened and rather sensitive. I would not recommend jumping right in with them unless you know what you are doing. That is not to say only the 'Expert Keeper' should be allowed them, but you need to understand and be able to honestly and constantly provide for their needs. It is one thing killing a goldfish, but a bit different killing something on the threatened species list. (believe me :oops: :cry: )

Ethically it is best to take SMALLER fish and grow them up. Big fish are REALLY good at getting sick and dying during the adjustment phase. It is also much less of an impact to take juveniles from the wild. Unfortunately bullies are also slow growing, but satisfying. I am not comfortable taking bullies longer than my finger. (Bullies do utterly ROCK as aquarium fish, fabulous behaviours)

Kokopu are also rather stroppy. Especially at the 2-3 year mark as they get into sexual maturity, they start having a lot of fights. You do not want to be crowding kokopu. No sure what you mean by 'the smaller native trout'. Banded and shortjaw kokopu are both smaller and equally erroneously labeled 'native trout'. Bandeds are possibly more stroppy than giants.

Inanga are best caught as whitebait or post-whitebait juveniles. In the aquarium they will not breed which means they live much longer, but the females can get eggbound and die. They are naturally schooling fish.

Koura rock, they also eat each other. Best to have just one. And smaller the better - they also have a go at fish.

All native fish and koura need (in no particular order):

LOTS of hiding places

really secure lids

COLD water

High protein food, preferably live but ox heart is good

Really good water quality

(check out my native links below too :))

yea na i wasnt talking about browns or rainbows, yes our native species. :)

the tank sits arround 18deg this time of year.

would prefer giant kokapu over banded ,but how soon can you tell the diff between the different species , as in age :)

i dont wana sound to dumb just wana make shure i get all the info :)

18 degrees this time of year sounds perfect! (in fact I am jealous)

Exactly what is it about the giants that you like about them? (just helps with understanding your motivation and what advice to give)

The kokopu can all be told apart within their first year. As always it gets easier the more you see. Small giants actually have vertical stripes like the bandeds, but giants had markings with clearly defined edges all the way around, whereas banded's 'bands' peter out at the top and bottom. Shortjaws have really indistinct mottles and the whole profile is different.

Please bear in mind that you don't just want to find the fish you want and yoik it out of the wild. You need to think about the whole local population. For example bandeds are a bit rare in the Manawatu and I would NOT take one from here, but around Auckland the populations are much bigger, therefore it has less impact on the population to take one. Also it is illegal to take anything from DOC lands.

Correct spelling and punctuation makes a big difference with not sounding dumb ;P

HaHa some people still have to go to work at 0330 in the morn :)

I have been keeping arrows and other big tropicals for about 8yrs nw and would like a change.

i also keep tropic marines but would like something different.

as ive finaly got rid of the fresh water tropical fish big and small.

i would only like my 2 1000ltr tanks runing .