Keeping a stable temp for thee puffers?

Dixon1990

im wondering if a fan blowing air across the cool side of a peltier (with cold side heatsink of course) at the water would work ane better than submerging it , it would save the problem of putting metal in the tank if it worked (though i have read somewhere you can use adonised aluminium even in saltwater)

ive got a 100w water chiller to play with this 1 is different to others ive seen the hot part has a sort of oil(maybe) fillerd radiator cooled by a fan on it. the cold side is in a aluminium cylinder insulated with foam , i feel this would work hooked up to a pump and a thermostat nicked out of an old fridge on the 240v side of the circuit (screw adjusted inside to get it to the rite temperature and probe coated with thin layer of expoxy so it can be submersed) im wondering if there is some thing i could coat the inside of the cooling chamber with to make it safe for salt water but without insulating to much of the cold

Thermoelectric Peltiers are very inefficient at cooling if you don't want to use vast amount of power. I've used them before to try and cool hot-running electrical items in RC boats and over-clocked (cooked) computers (I have one now sitting under my over stressed poor little CPU).

What I would do is get a few computer fans (size, number depends on tank size/temperature/cooling need) some plastic/silicone tubing and a smallish water pump (size as-per fans...). Then zig-zag the tubing over side of the fans that blows out and make a small radiator just like on the back of you're fridge. I am going to make radiator for my micro-reef using a similar method, but plan on running the plastic/silicone tubing through copper tubing to act as a better heat transfer. But unfortunately you won't see the build log in the DIY section for a few months yet...

For power usage as an example- 120mm Computer fans only use about 120-250mA and 80mm use 80-120mA. Power usage of two, three or four fans is nothing when compared to using a peltier (mine currently sucking down 5.6 Amps!). Also get ball bearing fans, sleeve bearing fans get noisy and die sooner then ball bearing bothers.

For powering the fans either an old computer power supply or find spare/cheap 12v 1Amp transformer and run the fans in parallel.

Stu :)