Size of lighting when replacing old lighting

Cheyenne

Hi wondering if I can get some advice on getting new lights for my aquarium the ones I have replaced the originals with are slightly smaller in width but the right length, the rubber end caps go on easily to the new ones but were tight on the old ones. How much of a issue is this? Having trouble locating the original make that was in the aquarium when I brought it. Just thinking elec and water don't mix, where I brought the lights did not advise the widths may be different and I have not been at this long enough to know any better.

Cheyenne :o

Manufacturers are now making fluorescent tubes narrower which is why you can't find matching ones. My concern would be moisture getting into the end caps but the heat from the tubes should be enough to keep them dry. As long as the caps can't fall off you should be right.

There are a number of different type's and sizes of fluro tube, and you do have to make sure you get the correct one, you can't just mix and match. Commonly there are T12, T8, T5, tubes all of which are a different diameter, and within some of these sizes there are different types like high output (HO) , and very high output (VHO), tube's. The easiest way to check you have the correct tube is to look at the wattage. Every single type of tube uses a different wattage so there is no way of confusing them. The wattage is how the ballast (supplies the power to the tube) is matched to the tube and it is important to match them otherwise the ballast could be overloaded and in the worst case cause a fire.

Manufacturers are now making fluorescent tubes narrower which is why you can't find matching ones. My concern would be moisture getting into the end caps but the heat from the tubes should be enough to keep them dry. As long as the caps can't fall off you should be right.

Thats fine when they are running but moisture will condense once they are turned off.

• 2 weeks later...

What size are the tubes? If they're 1 inch diameter they're T12s which have been obsolete for something like 20 years. But are replacable with T8s. If they're currently T8s, then you need to replace them with T8s, T5s are not interchangable.