low pH, high nitrate, and move to tetras?

Spink

Hey all!

So I had some drama with my tanks lately. I started a new job a few months back, and as a result my tanks have been a little neglected. My idea of neglected is a fortnightly water change and grooming rather than weekly.

But recently, almost daily, my fish have been dying off. I decided to test the water, and found my pH was 6 (although I suspect it's lower than that but the kit doesn't read lower then that) and the nitrates were through the roof!

I changed one of 2 filter wool pads, added in some carbon, and then did a 50% water change, and although my tank looks clear, the fish are still suffering and the pH is still low and nitrates a bit too high.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help the tank recover and save my fishies? I did another water change today of about 40%, but is the water change alone enough?

On another note, since the pH has been so low, and I've become quite partial to tetras, I'm considering changing some of my fish and having a tetra tank. I'd have to get rid of the mollies and the honey gourami, but I'd keep tetras, checker barbs, cories, khulis, and maybe chuck in some of my red wagtail hi-fin platies. Does it sound like a good idea? Anyone else got a tetra tank set up that can offer advice?

Any suggestions, help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to keep what fish I have left!

It's the standard API test kit, and it says ppm on the card that you measure it against.

I can't think of any other reason that all my fish would die off, the ammonia tested fine and there doesn't appear to be anything else out of the ordinary going on other than the pH and nitrates.

Any ideas?

My pH in that tank has always been really regular, pretty much 7.0 neutral all the time.

I have no idea what happened to make it drop so low, and I'm hoping when i test the water again tomorrow it will have gone up slightly with the water change.

Am i doing the right things to to the tank back in balance or do I need to look at other options?

Are you sure it's nitrate and not nitrite?? That level of nitrate should be fine, you might get a bit of algae growth but that would be the worst of it (short term anyway)

High levels of organics in the water can cause low pH, which could be caused by the lack of water changes. Of course having soft water also means your pH wont be very stable, so there could be a significant difference in reading between morning and evening, over night the plants slow down their use of CO2 leaving more in the water which pushes down the pH

Hmmm...

Definitely nitrate and not nitrites - nitrites tested fine as did the ammonia.

The tank looks pretty good at the moment, no algae growth, and touch wood no fish deaths in 24 hours or more.

I'm really stumped as to what has gone on in there, but it seems ok - I'll keep doing the water changes and make it a priority to look after my tanks a bit better, and keep testing to see what the readings are