Moving tanks or new tanks

Snowman

I now highly recommend either very regular check of temp or an alarm for moved or newly setup tanks.

I moved my 4' in the lonuge to make room for a bigger tank, move went well, plugged it all back in thinking it was good before so should be again.......WRONG

The following day when i got home from work i had a temp of 38 degrees :o in the tank, the heater had stuck on when i plugged it back in and cost me 2 breeding pairs of adult GBA's and the worst was my 40cm BGK :cry: :evil: . (the loss of the BGK put tears in my eyes)

For the sake of checking the temp before bed my fish would be alive, i check them all nightly now.

Lesson learnt the hard way.

You should look at getting a temperature controller one day. I would never trust the thermostat on a heater no matter how good they are. Bi-metal contacts will one day fail. If you use a temperature controller, you can set the heater thermostat slightly higher so it can be used as an "over temperature" cut-out. This lets the temperature controller do all the switching.

The thing is the thermostat that is set slightly higher will never cycle, so you end up with it on all the time which is possibly why I always seem to get a stuck heater or 2 coming out of winter since they never cycle over winter.

Thats why you make it part of your maintenance programme. Just wind it up and down to operate it, say once a month.

• 4 weeks later...