Are these L plecos avail in nz?

henward

Para plec= L075, yes I have one and have seen others available time to time.

L48 & L368- have never seen them here but L014 and L253 have been here and are also scobiancistrus so no reason why they wouldn't be allowed.

Same with L121 and L273- other peckoltia and psuedancistrus species have been imported, so there is also a precident.

L173,L174,L236,L250- all hypancistrus and from Brazil. So while there are other Hypans that are here the chance of getting the ones you've listed are slim as they are on the "Ibama" banned export list so we would be relying on our importers to have them come through as a "Mis- ID" for them to turn up.

I would say that getting them here, through customs and quarantine is probably easier than getting some of the importers to actively seek those or other 'named' plecs rather than buying the bargain basement non-identifiable ones that others markets have passed over, and that we then accept here and create names for, or where they are supplied as only males hence they get the cheap price.. Many of the species you've listed have been captive bred also.

• 1 month later...

If you google L066 then it comes up with some good photos. I have 2 L066 well Dad has 1 I have 1 :P I introduced him to these fish so I can claim it as mine but he looks after it. :P

They were brought from Mr Pleco and they are so beautiful, exactly like the google pictures. I would recomend buying a few ;)

Im planning on more soon. So watch out for my pm Mr Pleco :P

Yeah do it Rochelle.

Buying a colony of such fish at an early age( especially at that price) is a great way to ensure that they continue in numbers, as while people buy in 1 and 2's we are putting too much responsibility on Mr pleco and the like to make sure that these fish are still in NZ in 10-20yrs time.

Just keep your grubby mits off the L260's thats all! LOL