hi ya ammonia problem again

aaron11

thanks adodge i will not feed the bottom feeders 4 pelets each day

and 2 small aqua one filters they aint that good !!!

And i have no idea how long the dead fish was in there it wasnt really big so Id say its not an old one

I only lost 3 fish all yr one cat fish died

the platy today

and one to dropsy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

adodge it was just between the yellow and the lightest green

I only feed a tiny amout and fish are fine apart from platy that died

I broke the tube for the PH so I cant check it waaaaaaaaa lol :bounce:

they are all swimming around the tank maybe i need the better filter???

what you reckon adoge?

Can you not use the same tube for the pH that you use for ammonia - I just grab one from my set of 4 and rinse it out well when its finished. Its just that I understand that the lower your pH the less problems higher levels of ammonia, nitrates etc will cause. If your fish are really in trouble I would expect them to be at the top of the tank gasping for air. I know that if I'd looked at my tank properly on the morning of the day my ammonia went through the roof I would have known as all my fish were right at the top, just about had their heads out of the water :oops:

It could be your filter not working properly. You can get away with more fish in your tank if you have good filtration.

No, thats fine - no good for cichlids but fine for the fish you have. At that level pH you can get away with a small amount of ammonia in your water. Just keep an eye on the level. I wouldn't stock up your tanks again for a while though until it stays stable.

I run several cf1200's on my tanks and in particular on my 4ft tanks. They are good filters but don't put fish in the tanks that don't like a lot of current like fighters or discus. External cannister filters are easy to use and you get to choose the media etc that you want. I run a 2213 on my 54 litre tank.

My current batches of fighters are too young and small to swap for anything yet but they are also not suitable to go in with guppies as the guppies will nibble at the male fighters fins and tail and the fighter may eventually retaliate and nibble back. However further down the track - in another couple of months or so we may be able to do something depending on what you have in your tanks at the time.

:bounce: oh didnt know you couldnt have a guppy with a figther thought they would be happy together both with long tails ha !

more babies today lol

Looks like i might feed some to the turtle

checked water its yellowy green so dunno whats going on the test kitt was expried when I got it but they said its ok

its nearly empty so have to get another one soon

hehe

Sometimes fighters and guppies are okay together - each fish has a different personality and in a planted tank with some swimming areas they are often okay. It depends if you want to see what happens.

With regards to the ammonia the more water changes you do the better until you get it sorted.

Would it be a problem to do a bucket a day?

adodge not at all

do i need to stone vacum once a day or just the water

I will do another bucket soon

thanks for all your help

i have loads of java ferns and hen and chicken i think they multiply

But i listend to what you said no messing around with the fish lol

oh and no more fish either till its sorted

In my communty tank i just want to slip in 2 swords later

and my guppy tank just a few more girls as they are gettin bullied LOL

i love my fish shake my head at the work though lol

not sure what 'stone vacuum' is - do you mean still vacuum once a day.

The answer is no, if you vacuum too much no bacteria will build up and it will be as if you never have let your tank cycle. I vacuum thoroughly once a week in my big tank and partially in the open areas at other water changes.

thing you vacum stones with

So in my guppy tank whats appectable to change the water

how much should I do id rather do it good once a week and not have to worry

I poped another filter i was given in there small chepo one just to help the water move around

So all looks wellllll

Just eyein up my guppy fry hoping im gonna get some red ones or blue lol

some of the babies have black on them and some are blonde or white

wonder what colour the white ones will be :bounce:

I would do it like this

week 1 - change 1 bucket of water every day for a week and vacuum 2x.

week 2 - change 1 bucket of water every 2nd day for a week and vacuum 2x

week 3 - change 1 bucket of water every 2nd day for another week and only vacuum at the end of that week. If there is a lot of muck on the bottom of the tank (I can't remember if you have bn catfish in this tank or not) then the filter is not working as well as it should be (all bn and plecos are messy).

Check your ammonia levels every 2nd day. If every thing is okay you should then be able to go to changing 50% of your water 2x a week and vacuuming once. If everything still tests okay after a further 2-3 weeks one 50% change once a week and a vacuum will work.

Just remember when you vacuum not to remove every last little crumb of waste.

Then if you wish to add more fish its up to you but keep them in a seperate tank for about 4 weeks to make sure they are not carrying any nasties.