Cork as filter material

lmsmith

I've been doing some googles and I can't find whether or not cork would be a good material for filters? It seems ideal, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was toxic? In saying that, we use it in wine bottles. Any ideas of whether or not cork would be ok?

you have to wonder google cork bark backgrounds . im sure this is similar maybe the chips of cork in a newewr wine bottle top are held together by toxic glue? the 1s that arent made from chips of cork should be ok (soaked for a few weeks to remove residue wine maybe)

you might be remembering my experience with corktiles lmsmith. I had cork tiles which were sandwiched between pieces of rubber in the sump of my marine aquarium and when the tiles disintegrated some form of toxic poison was released killing 90% of my fish in around 30 minutes. I suspect it is likely it was the glue that attached the rubber to the cork that was toxic, but its not a risk i would be taking again