incubator temp

A.PROPHECY

Hi,

Temp of around 29 degrees should be fine.

As far as humidity goes my advice to avoid the trap of adding water to the incubator - far too difficult to acheive reliable humidity for reptile eggs this way.

Put the eggs in air tight containers with a 50:50 by weight water to perlite ratio. Open once a week to allow air circulation. Should not have to add any water for entire incubation.

nice one pagona - how do you find temp stability in those incubators without fan? mine seemd to vary alot - possibly as the daytime temp rises so does incubator but recently put fan back in my unit and done what you have with eggs and temps seem more steady?

i suppose havn incubator in temp controled enviroment would help

congrats on the eggs A.PROPHECY incubate slightly on cooler side to get males?

Should not use fan incubator (aka forced air) incubator on reptile eggs unless you have container setup like pogona1. Reason being is that it dries out the eggs often, even if humidity is high. We are afterall trying to simulate natural conditions, and there is no way that there is air cond. when the eggs are buried.

The other bonus about the container method is that you can keep the moisture level very constant by using this method:

1) get some scales. Place your plastic container on the scales and 'zero'the scales. Add your vermiculite/perlite.

2) however much your vermiculite/perlite weighs divide this number by 2 and this is how many grams of water you should add.

e.g: 200g of vermiculite, add 100g water.

Keep this sealed in your incubator and open for short periods of time to remove bad eggs or add more eggs. There is no need to add more water.

Even if you never open it for the duration of the incubation the eggs will hatch. Eggs need very little oxygen to hatch..in the wild they are often buried 2 feet or more down.

Hovabators are great and are cheap.