Gutted!

IOU1

I went to see my neurosurgeon the other day to ask if I am ever allowed to dive. He said there is no way that I am allowed to because I had a brain tumour when I was younger and so my brain couldn't stand the pressure of being deep underwater :( This was not the news I wanted to hear because I was planning on doing a course at uni next year with most papers heading towards a job in marine biology. Is diving essential for getting a job in marine biology and if so are there any similar alternatives that I could consider for a job? :-?

Because of my passion for animals I would prefer to get a career in that sort of field rather than medicine etc- hopefully something will be out there :)

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

:D

I think it depends on which area you decide to end up in. Like if you studied the deep sea organisms, you'd need to be able to dive to do the research, but if you wanted to study the rock shore, diving isn't nessacery.

These are the jobs lised on the vic site:

Aquaculture

Crown Research Institutes

Department of Conservation

Field ecology

Ministry for the Environment

Ministry of Fisheries

Non-governmental organisations

Policy analyst

Researcher

Thanks everyone for the comments- it sounds like diving isn't compulsory so I think I will do the papers and see from there :) Lol I was hoping to go to PhD level so its good to hear that you can use that to your advantage :)

Submarines aren't a bad idea :wink: :roll:

Don't really know how deep "deep underwater" means, I presuming much more than 20m???

Yeah it is a bit of a bummer but not being able to dive is a very small price to pay to have a second chance of life though which is what I am really grateful for :P :bounce:

Yay it all sounds like good news! Thanks so much everyone :D