Tank lighting, power glo or aqua glo

ozzchick

I have a small tank i use for guppies to give birth in and also bits that come off my plants or end up floating in my main tank go in the small tank till they get a bit bigger then get replanted in my bigger tank. I have 2 lights, one has an aqua glo tube and one has a power glo tube. Which of the 2 would be suited best for my guppy tank and why? thanks

The age of the tube is probably the important factor, most have a 1/2 live of 6-9 months but as they get older they keep giving off less light and the colour changes. So use the newest.

Looking online the power glo is slanted towards marine so will have a higher kelvin rating and the aqua towards plants, so the power glo will be bluer/whiter to look at the aqua glow more yellow. The bluer tube will bring out the blue colours in your fish and make the tank look brighter, however plants like the redder/yellower light so would grow better using the aqua glo. (assuming the tubes are similar age).

the tubes are not giving much away lol,i took one right out and checked it thoroughly and all it has is the name, length and 15w T8. Have noticed in the past that one was a whiter light as mentioned above so might go with the yellower tube. I have been using the yellower tube and the floating plant have been growing really well. Also i just checked the tubes on my bigger tank which are 20w aqua glo and they have no mention of k's on them either!! mmm, maybe theyre all old tubes? i got them all with 2nd hand tanks so have no idea what age they are . How many hours a day should i have the lights running?

They are probably the original bulbs that came with the tank. I think to replace them at the pet shop would not be cheap but if you can get them from an electrial wholesaler would be a lot better. Many people like to use daylight but I use 10000k and 4000k (growlux and cool white). You will probably find that new tubes will make your plant grow better. When the tubes are old they get dark at the ends.

thanks for all the advice!! The tubes are all darkish at the ends. A couple of them actually have black spots at each end as well,about the size of a small pea. Will look into finding an electrical wholesaler but doubt there is any in my area. May just have to replace them one at a time. No hurry though as everything seems to be growing nicely. So how many hours a day do i have the lights on?