Seahorses

somethin fishy

Hi all.

I am setting up a native marine tank to house seahorses which I will purchase from "the seahorse farm" in Napier.

The tank is 70 liter vertical, Temp of 15 degress, running an external filter whose outflow is directed at the glass to reduce the current.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this and could tell me some of the things to watch out for.

Thanks

temp of 15 is too cold for the seahorses need to be between 17-22. I have found they are most happy around 19 degrees. They love brine shrimp but wont eat the baby ones as they are too small so have to get them to at least teenager size. But dont use brine shrimp as there staple diet as it has no nutritional value for them You can buy frozen mysis shrimp and they are happy with that.

For Pot bellied seahorses you should only really have two in your tank as the ratio is a pair per 50 litres approx.

Seahorses like a bit of current and i often find mine playing in it. If you have a spray bar then use it. dont push the water up against the glass unless it is too strong for them.

Alan is right about the temp. It is a real problem in summer. Even though you are in wellington your normal house temperature during the summer does reach more than 22 degrees which is the max i would have the temperature.

The most important thing you can do is wait for the tank to cycle. Mine took two months but it was well worth the wait

If you need any help feel free to PM me

P.S Dont have my camera at the moment but will try and post some pics later