How often do you feed your fish?

Jaide

I've only got two fish and a crayfish, so I don't need to feed as often as some. Just bloodworms, finely sliced shrimp and flake 2 nights out of 3 for the Inanga. The crayfish gets a big bit of uncooked shrimp every second night, and treats in between - like broccoli, apple or just whatever is tasty that's left over from dinner.

Got go be careful about not overfeeding the crayfish with tasty stuff. If it doesn't eat all of it's broccoli or carrot, it's no big deal, it just pushes them to the end of the tank. But if you give it too much shrimp, it tucks it away deep inside it's cave for later. "Later" being 6 weeks after, when I rearrange the tank to find what's causing my water parameters to go crazy.

1-2 times a day, although I might cut back to once a day after reading other peoples comments. A mix of flake, crumbles, and the occasional algae wafer. Bloodworms once a week as a treat.

Anyone else noticed the Nutrafin flake containers have a convex dome in the bottom - you get less food than you'd think. Is this a typical sneaky rip-off ploy, or does it prevent the flakes in the bottom getting crushed up?

I generally feed my fish twice a day, but I don't stress if I miss a feed or two. When I'm away over Christmas/new year they don't get fed at all. So far I have never lost a fish during that time, or seen any sign of stress so my theory is if they're well conditioned beforehand I'm happy to leave them unfed for up to a couple of weeks.

Also I prefer to do two small feeds a day rather than one big one. Gives me a chance to watch the fish and make sure everyone's eating well and looking healthy.

My usual feeding routine goes something like this:

Sinking food in the morning

- Wardley spirulina discs or

- JBL Novo Tabs or

- Nutrafin "Complete food tablets"

Floating food in the evening

- Nutrafin "Complete micro granules" or

- Flake food (random brand)

I also feed fruit & veges in addition to the prepared food, and sometimes I feed frozen food like bloodworms or shrimps. On the day I feed frozen food, that will be their only food for that day (I want to be sure they have a good incentive for a thorough clean-up!)