Plant & Filter Treatment

Brookey25

Hey everyone,

I'm currently medicating my sick fish. Even though he's on his own in his home, I've put him in a tiny hospital tank so I can monitor him more accurately (so he can't hide behind his plants).

I've made a little dark area for him though.. wrapping half the tank in a background, as he's very skittish at the moment.

Anyways, I've bleached out his entire tank so I can put him back in there when he's better. I'm just not sure how I would ensure there's no bacteria left on the noodles, filter or plants? Is there a standard way to sterilise these after a disease outbreak?

If you could let me know that'd be great. Thanks for ALL your help!

I have only sterilised the stones and tank at this point. I have not touched anything else, I wanted to make sure I followed the correct process.

Alunmin4304, I posted on here a couple of weeks ago explaining my fish's symptoms and that I was desperate for some ideas on what to do. I've called the local pet store who also had no idea. Only 2 people responded and no one seemed entirely sure of what it could be - so I had to do something fast.

My fish was not moving from the bottom of the tank, so the disease had advanced. He's currently in Meth Blue treatment.. which I know is the one least likely to harm him if by chance I'm wrong.

It doesn't look to be working though. He's perked up a lot, but the white spots and frayed tail remain.

The disease is either fungal or bacterial, I know that much. Because he rapidly went downhill, I had to do something quick. It was either Furan2 or Meth Blue.. and he's already had 2 courses of Furan in the past.. so I put him into the Meth Blue.. hoping that if it were Fungal, this would be a cure, and if I was wrong.. the treatment wouldn't harm him.

I agree with alanmin. Don't guess and treat with med just because you think you have to treat or the fish will die. If it is fungus you will be able to see it quite clearly. Methelene blue don't actually serve much purposes.

If you insist on treating I would treat with Furan2 again. You can continue treating with Furan2 for 10 days or till the fish recover.

If I am in your shoe, I would just do a 50% waterchange every 2-3 day and a tablespoon of salt per 40ltrs of water. Feed once a day for the time being and take out whatever uneaten food after 10 minutes.

I hope there is some experience fishkeeper nearby that go and have a look at the poor fish to see what is wrong and advise you accordingly.

Are you a fish club member? Maybe get someone from the club to have a look.

Hope it all work out for you and the fish,

ron