New Tank Stand

Stu :)

It depends on the design of the stand. You would need solid timber framing, and make sure the MDF never spans a gap of more than about 300 - 400 mm without support. Also make sure it is sealed all over (including underneath and any cut ends).

A good strong design and solid construction is the key. There are a few threads about home-made tank stands on here, and some of them contain very valuable tips so it's worth a search.

The stand for my 5 x 2 x 2ft tank is made from MDF.. It is made from 20mm and was made by one of the reputable shops in Auckland.

I don't like the design of it however it is basically just a box with no bracing etc and no actual timber. Plus the fact I overflowed my tank all over it and it all swelled up and is now ruined.

I have started making a new stand for it which is 4 x 2 framing and going to be clad in rimu t & g which I found cheap on trademe.

If I was you and I was building a stand I would think twice about MDF or at the very least seal it if it was the only material you could use or you were getting it free.. To me there is no point in going through all the work of building one and not doing it well enough so that it can survive getting wet and go the distance.

mdf is fine as long as you dont get it wet which isnt hard

lol I would think with a fishtank being filled with water and sitting on top of it the odds of it getting wet are quite high?

IMO build something good strong and water resistant do it once and do it right.. At least then if you do have an accident then you know it will be fine and not swell up and fall to bits.

I have a 1200mm fish tank in a cabinet built from MDF. It sits on a very strong Wooden frame to distribute the load over the floor and I paid a packet to have it painted inside and out with two pot high quality waterproof paint. It is also glued with marine glue. It has been going for many years and is still OK. Without those three things I wouldn't touch mdf for that use.

I see no one has mentioned powder coated steel stands, i have a 500 and an 800 litre tank and never even thought of timber when steel is so much stronger and permanent, dead straight with no flexing and when powder coated theres no prob with water and you can easily clad it in timber.

When thinking what 500+ litres of water would look like on my lounge floor not to mention the loss of fish, tank, filters, heaters etc a very easy choice/insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Thanks for that.

The stands that are white are eight years old and so far haven't rusted away David R.

If steel is prepared and painted with good quality paint and workmanship, and looked after, there is no reason why it wont last a lifetime. :roll:

Etch primed steel is incapable of rusting unless you break through the etch coated layer itself and that is very hard to do as etch primer is as hard as nails. :wink:

I know of many people that built stands out of "TIMBER" not "Weetbix Board" and had them rot in a couple of years.

I personally think whatever you use to make a tank stand is a matter of economic choice, but INO steel far outweighs the cost of using timber.

:bow: