Young bristlenose in cichlid tank?

Jenna

I successfully keep bristlenoses with all of my africans I would stick them in with 7cm africans at around 3cms and have no problems.. My adult pair spawn in my display tank all the time and there are some pretty big fish in there so they must be happy.

I would say probably say no to your situation because oscars can get pretty big and also have big mouths. However I have never kept oscars before maybe someone who has will be able to help.

isn't there an issue with when some fish get swallowed that the spikes near their gill plates can puncture the Esophagus of the bigger fish?

As Oscars can be so brain dead when it comes to food i would recommend a larger species altogether, such as a pleco?

I tried adult GBA's with my pair of oscars and the GBA's were definetly not happy, they constantly hid where the oscars couldn't get at them so suffered food wise, i took them out after 5 days as they hadn't moved from the hiding spot and wouldn't eat. I doubt if the fry will survive.

I tried adult GBA's with my pair of oscars and the GBA's were definetly not happy, they constantly hid where the oscars couldn't get at them so suffered food wise, i took them out after 5 days as they hadn't moved from the hiding spot and wouldn't eat. I doubt if the fry will survive.

I think if I was a little fish and saw a couple of Oscars coming towards me, I'd be hiding too

Are young bristlenoses (about 3cm) safe housed with severums, oscars & other cichlids, as long as they have safe places to hide etc?

Young bristlenoses don't always shift well, or have the sense to hide!! They would make a tasty snack though, and at 3cm probably the spines wouldn't cause any problems...

My Mum's goldfish got a bristlenose stuck in its mouth for a while before it all went down the hatch but it was a bit bigger than 3cm. Greedy fish!!