GBA with a spot

lambo

I have three gba's all the same age and all off the same person and they are about 5cm long now. One of them and only one of them has developed a browny/black spot on its side directly below its dorsal fin and it's about the size of the end of a pencil. Any ideas what this could be and if it would cause any harm to itself and/or other fish? Cheers

I've spoken to a few people about it and they have had it happen to fish when there has only been GBAs in the line for 5+ generations. I think it does happen sometimes like dixon said.

BTW, you got them from someone different from me, thanks for telling me!

I've bred probably a few thousand GBA's and from several pairs of all gold GBA's they all seem to occasionaly spit 1 or 2 with black spots, i've had them with up to 3 spots which on younger ones can look pretty cool, seems that when younger the spots are a dark black but as they get older they fade to a lighter colour. I started putting the spotted ones into a seperate tank to see if i could breed golden black spotted ancistrus but they spit mainly normal golds with the occasional spotted one the same as standard GBAs.