Lionhead breeding age - unidentified babies now with pics

lmsmith

I have some lionheads growing out in a tank and I just moved them into a bigger tank (and I had to make room for my puffers). When I was cleaning the tank I moved them from, I saw 2 or 3 baby fish. I'm 99% sure that they're lionheads (I'm pretty sure they're not baby angel fish - the lionheads would have eaten them!).

So, my question is, how big/old to they have to be to breed?? Mine are only 4-5 months old, and less than 1/2 grown. I haven't noticed any of them defending a territory, and I can't see any acting as a pair.

Mine breed and they are large. In my experience the male will defend the fry until they are 1cm plus. Mine even try to attack my hand when I feed the other fish frozen food. The ones I grew out were about 5 cm in size and have not bred. What size are they?

If they breed at 4 months I would be surprised, most cichlids take longer to breed. I might be wrong as this is only my opinion, mine started breeding at about 7 cm and that was at about a year of age.

Hope this help, anyone with different experience welcome to give their input, we all here to learn.

Most of them are about 4cm, there's 3 males that are maybe pushing 7, but the largest females are only about 4cm. They've grown way quicker than I expected. I was really surprised to find the fry because I haven't seen the parents with them at all. I can't see them in the tank anymore, so I guess the puffers must have got them...

DSCF0495.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

Here are the babies. They're now free swimming. There's 7 of them still alive. In the lionhead tank, there are some more eggs, and I'm 99% sure I can identify 2 pairs, and I'm pretty sure I've got another 2 pairs as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all of them, but at the moment, they seem to be living really peacefully in the 3ft (even though there's 14 of them!!)

EDIT: Just realised I didn't explain that I found 8 of the babies when I was cleaning the puffer tank. 7 have survived.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of the 7, only one has survived, I went away for a week and I don't think my fish feeder gave them enough water changes, but that's ok. I found another one in the puffer tank, about 1/2 the size of the one I've been feeding up. He looks pretty healthy though, and I'm amazed that he's managed to survive in a brackish tank with 2 hungry puffers!

• 2 weeks later...