The Circle of Life

Jenna

So this morning I watched as one of the heavily pregnant platies in my nursery tank swam around pooping babies. She was constantly followed by another heavily pregnant platy, who almost instantly ate most of the fry popping out of her tank mate.

I've been keeping fishies long enough now that this doesn't shock me, or panic me enough to go catching every tiny fry and putting it into a breeder net - as it did the first couple of times - but see it now as the fishies' way of seriously dampening the population explosion. I still add a few more floating plants to give them more of a chance though ;)

Anyway, Hi! I'm Jenna... long time lurker, first time poster. I've been hanging around here for ages, though I couldn't join on my regular email addy - hotmail. Then I finally got wise and signed up using my partner's email addy :D

I have 2 tanks, one is currently my nursery tank and my bigger one is community. I love platies and mollies and Feargal the rainbow sharky.

One of the first inhabitants of the smaller tank (before the mollies reproduced and we upgraded) was a female bristlenose we call Little Spot. 2 1/2 months ago we put a couple of males in with her and 9 days later I saw babies - now there are a couple hundred of them - lucky they're so dam cute :o

So I'm here to ask questions when I need it, help others out when I can, and have fishy conversations with people who actually care what I'm talking about!

Reeeeeally happy to be here!

thanks for the welcomes! :D

Dixon, right now the fry are all platy - the mollies haven't had any babies in a few months - though the last batch is about old enough now to start. They're really gorgeous gold & black lyretails too - i'll keep you posted :)

• 1 month later...