Lighting

lmsmith

ATM I'm using reptile bulbs for my 3ft tank, and my plants are growing awesome (doubled in size in a week). Are they ok lights for growing plants, or what would be better? I'm not really keen for the expense of MH lights.

Also, I know you're supposed to have 1w of lighting for every 1l or whatever it is of water - no idea how to work this out thought :oops: . Help much appreciated!

If it is working then run with it, that sort of growth is great.

The 1w per ltr is just a guide, what if you had a tank 300 x 300 x 1000 tall, would 90watts of fluro be ok? Maybe not.

How big was the tank, height is the main one needed.

I've got all sorts in there, but I think the natural light during the day is really helping, because I've got some red leafed plants that are still red after a month or so, so hopefully they manage to stay that way.

In terms of increasing the wattage of lighting, can you buy 200W tubes :o or do you just add more tubes?

Thanks so much for your help!

I have a tank which grows most plants pretty well and it is a similar size to yours. It has 2 x 3ft flouros going 17hours/day. One growlux and one cool white. It will grow any of the Echinodorus species other than E. tenellus var. tenellus and most other stem plants other than the ones needing intense light like Ludwigia arcuata and glandulosa etc. You will be best to buy a reptile to go with your reptile bulbs in another tank (I should have some red ears after xmas)

the person who got me into turtles a few moons ago always had house plants around there indoor turtle pond thing and they grew like mad, turtle water may off had something to do with tht aswell though.

i just use cheap 6500k fluro from hardware stores like bunnings etc for fish tanks and plants and have reasonably good results..

:-?im not sure what power a 3 foot bulb is, but lets assume 24W, thats 9.5 bulbs... seems a wee bit excessive

I agree. If you look back at the start of the post 1w per 1ltr of water was mentioned, went on to say that this is a guide only and really depends on what plants are kept vrs height of tank.