Filter

Susi

I have an AquaClear around 10 years old still using its original sponge with no deterioration. My Shark filter has just had its spong replaced as the old one was starting to fall to bits and no longer absorbing the crud as well as it used to.

No need to replace the sponge, just rinse occasionally in discarded tank water when doing maintenance (ie when the flow has reduced).

how long has it been since you cleaned the filter out?

you shouldnt touch an external filter often, just clean it when the water flow slows down!!!!! not before like some people tell you to.

some filters dont get cleaned for years , mine hasnt been touched for over 2yrs now and water is moving really well so i wont touch it until it slows down or i move what ever comes first :lol:

Okay, that's good new, one less thing to do then... We have been cleaning the filter every 2 weeks so far. Just rinsing it under tap water. And yesterday we had to rinse all the hoses as there was so much stuff in it.

thanx for the tips.

susi

You should only rinse under tap water if your water does not have stuff like chlorine added to it, otherwise you will kill the bacteria. Most people have a bucket of water taken out of the tank from when they did a water change and once the muck has settled, rinse the sponges in that.

cool, thaxs for that - it does make sense to. But really I don't have to touch that filter for such a long time??? It had heaps of stuff and snails in it. But ok, I'll leave it for a while and check it every now and then.

cheers, susi