Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

can you breed..

Featured Replies

So we sit on arses and do nothing!!!

What a gloom merchant.

I've read many accounts where the adverse effects of inbreeding would take 20-30 generation to be a real problem.

You yourself have mentioned the GBA which was originally bred from a few individual fish in Paraquay

Given that many of the fish we are talking about don't hit sexual maturity till 2-4 yrs, then we are talking about decades of enjoyment of these fish in NZ, by which time we could have thousands ready to breed with any that might make our shores from other breeding programs.

I would have thought the notion of sustaining supplies through wild caught specimens has a far shorter lifespan and questionable sustainability than the situation I've described.

I fail to see how the fact that there are yet to be described species would change this in anyway. In fact we have very little informayion on the breeding habits of many of these fish.

Do Alpha males inhabit territories? are they migratory?

wildcaught specimens are collected from the same spot and they will include the smallest of juviniles through to the largest of males.

There is alot we don't know The only hurdle I can see is attitude.

Agreed that pooling individual fish as adults willy nilly, hoping to get them to breed isn't the way to go. I'm descibing a situation of colonies.

No I'm not a Zoo or a scientist, and I'm not on a crusade to to save all plecs. But I like many around the world have a passion for these fish, where they come from and the importance of that region to the world as a whole.

Your argument would have me commit suicide because I'm going die one day anyway.

Your argument would have me commit suicide because I'm going die one day anyway.

Well put firenzenz - my thoughts exactly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.