mirror tint

Andrew_W

has anyone experimented with applying mirror tint to their

e planted tanks? I thought that this maybe a great way of multiplying the light inside the tank, thus making the plants happy.

I know some of you are maybe thinking it stupid because you wont be able to see into the tank, but as long as the inside of the tank is brighter than outside, you will be able to see in perfect.

I'm sure window tint spends a lot of time being wet in some parts of the world, wellington for example :P (just joking) i think tint has the same effect no matter what side of the glass it is on, it will always mirror the lightest/brightest side. so i guess you could apply it to the outside

At night, or when the room is really dark, my tank goes mirrored, looking from the inside out. my fighter didn't like it to much, but i'm sure schooling fish would have a field day, so to speak.

Is yours mirrored, or is that just what the glass does? I've never noticed it in mine, but they're usually really full and I look at the fish :D

I'm just thinking that some breeders might not be happy because they see their reflection in the glass, so may constantly think that there's someone trying to eat their babies...

the reflective side is put to the lighted side (ie: the inside)

Is is made by attaching ions to the surface of the glass. Some ions wont accept silicones very well at all so you will not get any sort of garenttee.

They work of reflected light so the vision into your tank on bright days or when the room is well lite will be reduced and from certian angles, will look a bit reflective

No my little tank just does it.

I was thinking of maybe testing the tint on my not yet planted tank.

At first i was thinking of putting reflective material on the bottom of my hood i'm making to minimize the light lost...Then I thought of the mirror to minimize the light lost through the glass.

And that it maybe help reduce UV from the natural sunlight.

Mine's in direct sunlight and I don't get algae, but I think you're right. But then, if you're using the mirror to reflect light inside the tank, wont it also mean that you have more light inside the tank than before? If you have enough light to grow algae, you can grow plants. I think it's just important to get the balance.

And that it maybe help reduce UV from the natural sunlight

Glass reduces UVa by around 40%

Laminated glass by 99%

Some reflective glasses can reduce by a bit more.

When I mention reflective glass I am talking about REFLECTIVE glass and NOT tinted

Tinted is often used as the offcuts are quite often less saleable as is reflective

Not knowing these things I used acid cure RTV. The first one I biult about 30 odd years ago to go in a cabinet like a big TV set. I got the mirror put on to the glass before assembly. It deteriorated so I built another one to replace it but no one hear does mirrors now so I slipped thin mirror down between the tank and cabinet. At least that way It can be replaced easily if need be. It makes a planted tank into a forrest.