Removing Tiger Lotus pups...

Spink

My Tiger Lotus has thrown out it's first pup ever, and I wondered when I should separate it from the mother plant?

And does removing the pup have any influence on it producing more pups or producing flowers?

I'd like to see it flower, and like to get more pups if poss - anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

hey it is great when that happens i just gently excavated around where the pup is to expose the root system, then sniped off the new pup from the mother plant. Three weeks later the pup threw off a pup, now i have four plants growing on their own. i would say take your time to make sure that you don't cause unnecessary damage to either plant but if i could do it then... anyone can.

i have just took the first pup off my tiger lotus, i had 4 full leafs and 8-12 decent roots. all i did was, lift the pup till i saw the connecting "thingy" (its a technical term) between mum and pup. Then at about half way between mum and pup i cut it with a nice sharp pair of scissors.

both are doing fine and and have another new leaf coming through on the pup.

HTH :lol:

Thanks guys!

That helps me a lot! :D

One pup has 5 leaves and a new one coming through, the 2nd one has only 3 leaves, and the next shoot is just sending up the first leaf now.

I think I will separate the first pup from the mother, and just wait a little longer with the other two.

Have you had any luck with getting your plants to flower?

no luck flowering for me yet as i have been cutting the leafs that are running to the surface to try and get it to pad out more, and it seems to be working. i now have pads that are 8cm by 10cm and its covering about a 25cm diameter area. Ill start leaving the runners soon and hopefully it will flower then.