Mr Fish Has A Fungal Disease - Can You Confirm?

Brookey25

Hi everyone,

Recently I posted about a 3 year old fantail I adopted about 6 months ago, who had Septicemia and Internal Bleeding.

I have fixed this with Furan 2. A few weeks after this went away.. I noticed a white spot above his left eye. At the time, he was in a hospital tank, without a filter and had ammonia burn on his tail. The water quality was pretty poor during this time, after he'd been on the Furan.

I bought him a 75 litre tank and he now lives in there on his own with flourishing plant life. The current PH is 7.6, ammonia and nitrates are 0.. and since putting him in his new home, the ammonia burns have healed.. there is no sign he's in distress now. He's happy where he is.

A few days ago, I noticed the white spot above his left eye has gotten bigger. I'd been watching it closely, everyday.. because I didn't know what it was indicative of.. and therefore didn't want to risk treating him with the wrong meds.

This spot has turned into more of a white patch now, and it's actually hanging from his head.. I can see on the side, that it's swaying about in the water. I WOULD attach a picture, but I've had trouble actually doing that on this site.

The fish is not under any stress at the moment, he's eating well.. and very active. Occasionally, I'll find him behind the plants though, sitting very still and I'll have to check he's not dead.. but then he's up and playing around in the stones again. I think he's just resting and getting used to the new plants when he does that.

I feed him peas once a week, bloodworm, gourmae flakes, crumbles, and granuals that help his colouring. It's nothing to do with his diet I don't think.

I was wondering, if this is fungal - what would I use for this? Not the Wunder Tonic? Would it be Furan2?

What would I need to do... take him out of his huge tank, and isolate him into a hospital one? Or treat him, the plants and the tank in it's entirity?

Has anyone had this particular problem before? A white spot, growing into a white patch, that you can see HANGING from the fish?

If you could give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

By the way - this may not be relevant - but he has a current algae outbreak in his tank. I have cleaned the walls, which are now spotless.. but I have put in some Wunder Algae Remover last night to eradicate it from the plants and stones. I'm hoping any treatment he needs will mix with this medication?

Jaide,

Thanks for replying to me. I've been checking this threat multiple times a day in desperation! I really don't know what I can do about this. The pet store tells me to medicate with tonic for White Spot.. but this is NOT a White Spot outbreak.. it doesn't match the symptom picture at all!

Yes, I've previously read your thread about your Betta.. I'm so sorry to hear she's still not any better. The white stuff looks like it's growing from INSIDE her head? Is that right? This does look different. This looks like a white spot that's raised, but on the side, I notice at times that that area of his head has a whiteish tinge to it.. as if there's something growing on there.. and under certain lights at certain times, I can see that the spot has gotten bigger.. and it looks like a bit of orange pulp, sort of swaying about in the water, attaching itself to him. You have to REALLY look hard.. at first I thought I was just seeing things.. because some days (like today) I can't see anything at all.. whereas other days, I'll see it in the same place... but yesterday, I saw a raised white spot on the top of his head... *sigh.. it drives me nuts!

It does look different than your Betta, where the white is sticking right up and really easy to see.. and looks like it's growing from a hole inside her head of something?

Have you tried salt? Mine actually started getting sick WHILE the salt was in the tank, so I know that will have no affect.

So long as you're using the right sort of salt Brookey - table salt won't do. Use tonic salt which is especially for fish. I've tried everything for my fish - he's currently undergoing a furan treatment - the whole course this time. If this doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Try tonic - an all over treatment, see how that goes - good luck!

Jaide,

Thanks for the advice about the salt, but don't worry.. I already know to use the Tonic salt. I used this combined with Furan 2 to cure his Septicemia a few months back.

I'm still a bit sceptical to use the Tonic, unless I know that it's definitely going to cure this particular illness.. and I don't think the Tonic is anti-fungal.. only anti-parasitic? I may have to read up more on that. I know it's great for White Spot - but that's a parasite.

ALL THE BEST with the Furan 2. I know it's pretty toxic stuff.. but it worked like a charm for my fish. Please keep in touch.. I would love to know what happens with your little fish!

Alanmin, I change 30% of my water weekly, as I also have an algae problem at the moment. PH is 7.4 as of today.. so things are fine.. I'm keeping on top of that... and actually today when I look.. I can't see signs of fungal infection... it keeps coming and going! ARGH