Tropheus Duboisi & Demonsoni?

smidey

I am thinking about combinations for the new 6 footer. I have recently got tropheus duboisi & am thinking of having 12 of them as a starter for the tank. Has anyone mixed other species like demansoni (12 of) with tropheus? Who has what experience to tell me whether this is a good or bad idea?

Demasoni and tropheus are both vego's so will be sweet diet wise..

I would say the 2 would be fine living together, I haven't kept tropheus before though so haven't mixed them.. But don't think the tropheus would smash the dems and the dems wouldn't care about the tropheus..

Keep Tropheus only with very similar fish, if you must keep them with any other fish.

Similar means diet and digestion. Eretmodus is a good example. Keeping Tropheus with Frontosa can be done, but their diet is very different. I wonder if keeping Tropheus with dissimilar types of fish contributes to the problem with Bloat.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/t ... n_tips.php

But the also say

Many people consider duboisi to be aggressive as well. I believe them to be less so than most think. They tend to do very little infighting. Usually when you get a good group the order seems to get set and varies little after that. They all seem to know their place and don’t move out of it. I do find duboisi to be a bit more fragile than the other groups. It seems if you upset their order, the whole group suffers. duboisi don’t seem to pay much attention to their tank mates, kind of like they are oblivious to it all.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/t ... ession.php

It will be a chance you take :o you will be gutted if you lose them :(

They can be a very delicate species but I have kept them with a huge range of fish

I have them in my Display 10ft here at the shop

I stock it with around 40-50 different Varities and I havent had a single problem

I keep Dub's , Moori Moliro, Chipimbi, Bulu Pt, Ikola K1 , Ikola K2 and I keep so many types with them and have been for over 4 hours

Plus Venustus, Rhodesii as some of the larger aggressive fish and the Tropheus do fine with them and are just as good at giving it back to them

Diet is always going to be you main concern but my Fronnies are growing very well on a Diet of Brine Shrimp and NLS

Dub's are easily the least aggressive of them from the species I have kept

Brad