stuff on top of water surface

henward

The overflow box has the end of the pipes under the water. The water goes over the grate, fills the container, then get sucked up.

To break the water surface, put the filter outlet out of the water so it flows over the water surface, or add more bubblers in the water.

wouldnt that do the same thing, it would suck in air from the surface?

i guess im looking for a more stable solution

i was told by someone more aeration to break the water surface.

any feedback?

Sorry not the inlet, the outlet :oops:

Just like a spray bar, anything you can do to break the water surface will help, doesn't matter if it is your filter or air from a air stone.

I just noticed that in the sump of my new 5' there is a really bad accumulation of this kind of coating! I think the high protein food oculd be right, as I dumped 20 feeder goldfish in there to help it cycle and the ornate has slowly been picking them off, there's about 6 left now I think. I'm going to try scoop it out using a bowl tonight.

I think you'd just get more and more air in the filter, then the impeller wouldn't have any water to push, and nothing would pump back to the tank..

No, because most filters can handle heaps of air especially if it doesn't all come at once, bubbles come in and just go right back out again with the rest of the water.