What is wrong with my Electric Blue

marto

This beauty stopped eating some day's ago. It sits mainly at the bottom of the tank, but it still moves around now and then. It "shudders" sometimes and makes movements with the mouth as if it tries to swallow food. Breathing is normal. Colour is still good. I can't see anything on the outside. Fin's look perfect. It is/was the dominant male. Other fish leave him alone. The other fish look all fine. It is still a young male about 7/8 mth old. Any idea's what could be wrong?

>

Hi all :)

Sciaenochromis Fryeri are dimorphic. The males and females do not look alike and only the males are blue. The pic is of a male and males do not hold eggs. HTH.

The pic doesn't give any clues, in fact he looks pretty good. How is he behaving today?

yes I wonder if males are holding.

I have holding females in the tank and they make certain movements

with the mouth, but it looks different.

It looks like he is trying to get something out of his mouth, as if something is stuck there. He has been digging lately I wonder if he has a little pebble stuck?

The pic is from some time ago, but he still looks great but he gets thinner.

He doesn't move a lot, but when he swims it looks normal. When I feed the fish he comes up when he hears the noises, but as soon the food goes in he drops back to the bottom and stays there quietly.

:) I suppose that may be so, but all of my 5 males are blue and all of my 7 females are silver/grey. JME. I've never seen a blue female in real life or on the net.

i thought i had all males until one spawned 8) from what you are saying you may have seen a coloured female but not realised :D

i thought i had all males until one spawned 8) from what you are saying you may have seen a coloured female but not realised :D

8) :) I guess, but colour is one thing and fin shape is another. All of my blue fryeri have pointed dorsal and anal fin tips and the grey ones have blunt tips.

:oops: Sorry marto. We've hijacked your thread and started a discussion on sexing Fryeri :oops:

Keep us posted re: your fish.

Maybe you should catch him and use a tooth pick or something to open his mouth and have a look see, a bit like stripping a female of fry.

I have one of my Copadichromis Azureus females who is as blue as the male, and is a good holder, as well as being boss of alll the other girls, hence her nickname 'Dutchie'.

My Fryeri male was 6inches and 2yrs old and just upped and died one day for no reason at all as I could see.