blue/green algae problem?

Dave+Amy

Blue green algae usually turns up when the nitrate / phospate ratio gets out of whack. Too much phosphate can be caused by using the wrong foods and can be reduced with water changes and the ratio improved by adding Pot. nitrate (available from hydroponics places. If you get rid of it and the ratios are still out of whack it will come back.

Sorry, I have put you wrong with the H2O2---it can be used to get rid of black beard algae.

Furan2 can also be used to kill cyanobacter. It can be expensive but easier to obtain than eurethromycin and no vet fees. 1 cap/40litres then vac gravel and same next day.

• 2 weeks later...

did you get rid of it? my phosphates were out of whack when I got my outbreak so I added some phosvec to the filter to bring my readings down, this can happen when you feed in live food. I got hold of some eryo... to clear it up and it took around 3 days but its gone and didn't come back it didn't hurt the fish either I was really worried about my gold spot ... you just need to siphon it all up as it dies so your filter dosen't get overwhelmed