Love Clown Loaches but they keep dying....why?

crazyzoo

I don't have much luck with Clown Loaches....I have them a few days and they die?! I have a 200l tank, Amm/Nitrites at 0, Nitrates below 5, pH 6.5. I have had 2 for about 6 months, but have tried to introduce a couple more twice....and they die. No symptoms of ich or anything else....just lay on their sides/have trouble swimming for 24 hours then....:( Any suggestions please.

turn it up gradually!

If they are not getting white spot and stuff, i dont think the temp will the main problem. U don't buy just 1 do u? What's the ammonia in the tank like.

Is the tank planted?

Hmm..weird. I don't like it when i can't fix clown loach problems,they are one of my favourites. Maybe someone else will some suggestions.:-)

We have had our 2 large clowns for 2 years now, theyve been through alot to be honest, like 3 tank moves and once for like 3daysthe heater in the tank was pulled out accidentally and it was the middle of winter! but all the fish survived, they got a bit sluggish but none of them got sick.

I noticed people talking about clowns being shy too and ours are far from shy, they come right out when its feeding time no problems, and I only have 2 of them. One of them is a right big fatty fish, hes the alpha clown :D I have no idea why your clowns keep dying, maybe its some kind of residue coming from something you have overlooked...

Or nitrates that have built up in your stones... thats a bummer, you should look at all internal AND external possibilitys.

I hope you find what the problem is soon! Clowns are just awesome fish.

Star^ <><

Sorry to hear about your clown's..

I haven't seen any of the recent shipments but before I went overseas the state of the clown loaches in the shops was very poor (not the shop's fault they can only deal in what they get). Have you considered that the fish were sad or sick before you got them? What were the fishes symptoms before they died?

• 2 weeks later...

This is very odd possibly look at a different supplier?and as mentioned look at everything in the tank for something that could be altering the water chemistry something that is not detectable with normal test kits,possibly check the temp between the shop tank and yours.also loaches are as I am aware very sensitive to some meds due to the fact they do not have the same external makeup as your tetras etc they do not have scales .keep us informed I am very interested in how you get on. best of luck dont give up. 8)

hi,

I had the same problem getting them to live. I found that the bigger they are when you buy them the better chance they have to survive. Small clowns are usually not long out of quorintine and they have been treated for diseases and upset alot so tend to die easily under new tank conditions. If I was you I would buy four or more off someone who has had them for a while. Also when you add them to the tank leave them in the bag in the tank for an hour or so and every 10 or so mins add 100ml of tank water. scoop them from the bag and place in tank. Never add the water as that introduces disease to your tank. A lot of babble hehe but hope that helps.

Malc.

I second that advice from mickey.

I've had five clown loaches for a few years now and they have proved to be very hardy and resilient. I recently bought loach #6 and noticed that the loaches for sale in the shops now are way smaller than they used to be when I bought my first batch (about seven years ago).

When I selected the new little guy I noticed a few skinny looking loaches with sunken stomachs. As much as we all take pity on the runt of the litter, you're better off choosing the biggest, healthiest, strongest looking fish in the batch because it has a better chance of survival.

Good luck for next time.

i have had clown loachs on and off for years, nly recently i have made it a mission to get them HUGE!

never had one die, they are always seeming hardy and easy to care for.

filtration though, surprisingly, those little things eat lots!

i am amazed at how the belly almost looks like it will explode. so if they were eating, maybe filtration isnt enough.

i keep mine to 29 degrees or so give or take 1.

and do 30% WC everyweek - and the tank is also over stocked. i have two canister filters on it.

Thanks for all the advice....I have acquired 6 bigish clowns and added to my tank. I have temp at 28, and amm 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate below 5. Got lots of filtration, water movement...will teast water every day for a while to ensure all the conditions are perfect....fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for all the advice....I have acquired 6 bigish clowns and added to my tank. I have temp at 28, and amm 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate below 5. Got lots of filtration, water movement...will teast water every day for a while to ensure all the conditions are perfect....fingers crossed!!!

My clowns have their fins crossed for you, crazyzoo! Sounds like you have a good setup there, and the larger loaches should be fine in it.

Also when you add them to the tank leave them in the bag in the tank for an hour or so and every 10 or so mins add 100ml of tank water. scoop them from the bag and place in tank. Never add the water as that introduces disease to your tank.

They do need to be acclimatised gradually. I put mine in a bucket and use an airline to slowly trickle the water in over the course of half an hour or more. Check your pH and the pH of the water they're in, going from harder water to acidic isn't such a big deal, but going from soft to hard needs to be done very gradually, maybe even over a few days.

Good advice about the size thing too, the small ones at the LFS are still very much touch-and-go at that size.

I would seriously suggest setting up a quarantine tank once you've and quarantine any new arrivals (particularly loaches) to minimise the risk of disease.

Hi,

I have not read all the post yet. But I will write this out first, then add more if needed.

Now for starters Clown Loaches are a schooling fish. They like to be in a group of around 5+.

Also they like places to hide. And they like a reasonable currant. Plus they also like a higher temperature.

Now their should be no problems with the raising of temp with the fish you have.

But one thing once you get the Loaches to stay alive for a year or two you will need to remove them from your 50 gallon tank into a 100 gallon tank.

mac

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...