The new murky tank

StarFish

As per my DIY post about cheap tank stands, we bought some hollow blocks from placemakers today ($2.41 each) and have spent the whole day setting up the new tank with our budget base. So far so good.

I took photos and yet forgot to take a photo of the base.DOH, its covered with a blanket now.

Its basically 4 hollow blocks and 6planks of solid wood we recycled from an old slat bed. plus a thin layer of wood to make it more even.

Its just a 215litre tank, about the same as the cube tank that the fish came from however this is longer and more spread out for the little buggers to swim around and do whatever fishys do.

:D

THE BF DOING WHAT GOOD BF's DO ;)

2914596928_25b289f785_o.jpg

THE TO AND FROM TANKS IN QUESTION

2914596924_0a2e3192d3_o.jpg

2913755763_1211dbd452_o.jpg

My experimental java moss jar, Male Zebra loves it lol.

2913759433_f289fde0ca_o.jpg

BABY ZEBRA, male? 4 Sale :D

2914596914_7b2abc9c17_o.jpg

FRONT VIEW taken at 9pm 5/10/08

2913779741_f32f51244e_o.jpg

Kiwipete!

1. Yes you can! I will take a pic soon.

2. I will measure these and get back to you.

3. She has to wear a top because she is a chinese crested X affenpinscher HAIRLESS and she would get cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she LOVES going outside!!!!!!! ????

So pffft *pokes tongue out*

Star^<><

I think its strong enough but I probably would have gone for something thicker than the skinny hardwood and used poly inbetween. That blanket isn't going to do much to even out any pressure points or slight imperfections that might be under the tank especially a larger one like this.

However im sure there are plenty of tanks that are on far less suitable stands and they have been setup for years and not broken so you might be alright.

And im also sure there are plenty of people who had their tanks on "perfect" tanks and still had them crack..

I agree :) I think itll be fine, the way the wood is kind of takes the pressure as well, the blanket wont do that much but I think itll be ok, we may change this around as its just trial and error at the mo.

I wouldnt have done it if I didnt think it would be ok.

but then I am quite impatient and so is my boyfriend lol.

Star^<><

I would probably want some blocks in the middle as well because the wood will sag under the weight and it will be a surprising amount over a tank that size. I also really recommend poly under the tank, it only costs a couple of dollars. I broke a tank because it had no poly under it. the stand got wet and swelled up and cracked the glass which gave out under the water pressure and made a little fish and glass filled tsunami all over the lawn, lucky it was on the deck. wouldnt want it to happen inside where your tank is :o

:D thanks guys for the comments, Im well aware of the risks and I will change my approach next time, or when I can be bothered to re-do the stand lol, however its done now and I am satisfied for now....

4 more tanks to go! :lol:

Will let you know if it dies on me lol. :oops:

:D

Star^<><

I also really recommend poly under the tank, it only costs a couple of dollars. I broke a tank because it had no poly under it. the stand got wet and swelled up and cracked the glass which gave out under the water pressure and made a little fish and glass filled tsunami all over the lawn, lucky it was on the deck. wouldnt want it to happen inside where your tank is :o

Cost a couple of dollars!!!!!

I cant believe you guys pay for poly.

I manage a appliance store and we have to pay to dispose of poly.

We are alway happy to give it away.

GO ASK YOU LOCAL APPLIANCE STORE. All fridges and freezers come packed with it.

• 2 weeks later...