building an outside terrarium for native geckos help!!!!!

reptimax

hi, i have applied for a permit to keep native geckos in captivity, but to do this i need to build and outdoor suitable terrarium for them, i have a fair idea on what it should look like and i also read the specifications on the site, i was just wondering if anyone can post up some pics of theres or give me sum advice

nice cages hans

did you forget to water the bottom one, makes the greens easier to see :D

The plants dont get much light in the cages in winter + the plants get root bound and the plants die. They get new plants at least once a year.

The wooden cage has recently been pulled apart and rebuilt.

Id love to make another nicer enclosure for them- But time :roll:

Almost that time of year for baby gecko's :o

I think id rather lep gecko's to be honest, as you can handle them more and get some $$ back if you breed them

When I had geckos (once upon a time) my cage design had holes cut in the bottom so the plant pots sat in them (dirt level with wooden cage bottom, the cage was raised) This ment it was easy to avoid that excess water collecting under your leaf litter (or whatever you put in the bottom) and damaging your cage.

Also, the more easy hand sized doors the better (for cleaning, moving stuff around, putting in food).

so long as the specifications (on the DOC and herpetological soc websites are filled there isnt much to worry about re - getting your licence but for happy geckos think about where you are keeping the cage (sun, shelter, mesh or wall gets the most sun? or inside with artifical temp/sum etc...

lots to think about

One of my fishie friends is an old guy who keeps geckos (pretty sure they are the native northland ones). I'm pretty sure he just has a wooden frame around the outside and mesh on the back and glass on the front. He just uses mesh from the Mitre 10 which was ten dollars a metre last time i got some for my rat house. Anyway next time I go out that way I will take photos of them and their house. If anyone has a licence to keep them sometimes he ends up with too many after breeding season and I could always ask if theres any looking for a new home.

The wooden cage has a metal bottom with small holes it in. Doesnt collect water at all.

Metal cage is raised.

Find gecko's like to be in the bottom at times and thats where you find the young ones after they have been born.

Make sure you use metal mesh not the plastic stuff and place chicken mesh over top to protect it.

Small holes = escaping food = FAIL