Culturing locusts

alanmin4304

I have been culturing locusts with mixed success but need some info. I have two only 600 x 600mm tanks with wooden lids and light bulbs keeping temperature around 30 deg C. I have disposable glasses set into icecream containers as a laying media and breed in one and hatch in the other. I have put wood shavings on the bottom of each tank to insulate and bring the floor up to level with the top of the icecream container. This seems to be creating moisture and I am wondering what others do. Should I go for bare tanks or use another media?

I have wooden with sliding up glass front,trapdoor in roof and/or side for food acess and mesh floor for waste to drop through,you can cover this with a sheet of paper etc when they are first in there so they don`t fall through.I have an enterchangable floor with cup holes on half if I want to breed in there or just mesh for rearing.mesh ladders on the sides for resting/basking.

should be ok alan,just push it into a corner and make some little ladders out of wiremesh so they can climb easily.

propagating pumice sand works best for me,dampen it down a bit and the trick is to not leave it in there too long,its quite warm in there and it dries out fast.better to replace with a fresh one than leave a dry one in longer or to try and add water,just does not get deep enough into the medium.I take mine out once a week and thats probably pushing it abit long,probably costs me a few viable eggs,as you get more experienced you cut a few corners?When Istarted I would take the egg cups out everytime I saw they had layed and I got heaps more babies,also had heaps of containers to hatch and fill etc etc??

mine was bare bottom / flyscreen mesh bottom with 2 holes cut out for egg laying cups to sit flush with ground, plastic mesh ladders all around :) oh how could i forget the grass had a hole cut out to so i could add fresh jar with grass daily.

before this setup i just used a cardboard cut out thing similar to repto's picture - worked swt

this was in an old fridge, and the bottom was 25-30 C and up top was 40-45 C

i was using perlite in foam or plastic cups for egg laying and worked well (laying & incubating temps 25-32)

ice cream container seems abit overkill, once you crack it its prety buzzy what comes out of just a cup, theyre easy to cover/recover etc. once babie hatch take glad wrap off let babies out then recover and put back in incubator - kp an eye on it more wil hatch.

otherwise once they hatch take out put in rearing tank and mist atleast twice a day to kp unhatched eggs moist as could take a few days for them to hatch especially if your egg tray were kept with adults for a few days etc.

yes,its cardboard,just a shallow box cutoff to the lenght of the see through cups.Does not cover the whole floor area but when they are up on it they have no problem thinking its the place to lay.I take the cups out at least weekly and cover with gladwrap and a rubberband,also do like mincie and recover after first hatch and usually get more than one per cup.you can save the sand and sieve it to get old cups out then rinse it,then put in a big pot and bring to boil or do small batchs in the mirowave to sterilise it.Wait till the mrs is not home for this procedure.

Good ideas, I do it the lazy way , old fish tank, chinese takeaway containers with sand and throw in grass every day, dont clean out the sh*t , and theres heaps of it. light bulb hanging from top with mesh top. Works fine but after reading this thread, think Ill change it a bit when I get time.

they need a certain day length to produce eggs,mine get light 24/7 and have never heard them complain?I regulate the heat with the wattage of bulb,they are out in the garage,cold as a frog`s tit in winter,hot as in summer,as long as they can get away from or towards the heat source seems ok.Stand your grass in bundles in a jar of water as that is their only moisture source,a dish of branflakes or chook mash and you are away.

haha its good they dont complain. I just didnt want to stuff up their cycle if i left the light on the whole time for their heat source. I was also thinking about hooking the light up to a thermastat to try and keep the temp around 30degrees. but that means their light will be going on and off all the time.

30 minimum,34 is better,they need the heat to produce viable eggs.Also make sure you know whats happening at your grass source.Traces of insecticide will not kill them but render them sterile.That means fencelines adjourning orchards/marketgardens etc are out of bounds.You can do everything right bar this and no babies???You can culture your own grass as in wheat seedlings but you have to plan ahead for germination growth etc to have the right ammount at the right time,this is a good way to get around the parasite issue but short of producing them on a comercial basis alot of work,NZ market would not justify either I would say.

Have done the bare tank and cardboard container thing. Waiting on next batch of locusts to give it another go. Got my first offspring into winged adults yesterday but numbers are very few so have to get something going quite a bit better. Will keep you posted. I need to get them going to get a better diet for my frogs.

I don`t know wether you get that kiykuia grass down that way?at beachs etc.thats quite good to use as it stays green right into the summer.Just grab a handfull and cut off with a knife,put a rubber band etc around to hold it in a tight bunch and get a collection of small jars etc to stand it in water in your tank.you can gather a shopping bag of bunches and store in the fridge for a few days,then when they eat it down to a stump throw it out and put a fresh one in.I get them a couple of times a week on the roadside by an organic garden(no spray)and stand them in a bucket of water till needed.some just chuck it in on the ground but its so warm in there does not last long.

Does anyone know where I could get some adult locusts for breeding? I had a good set up going babies and all, then my dad looked after them while I was on holiday and somehow he wiped nearly all of them out. :cry: I'm left with 10 but they don't look great and aren't mating. I want to start up a fresh lot but don't know where to get the adults from. :-?