Spa Pool Filter Sand

cat

Hi all

I am wondering if I could use filter sand in my tank. This tank has got large Hoplos which tend to like uprotting everything I try to put in there. I am just a little worried about putting the sand in as these fish like sucking up the stones that are currently in the tank and spitting them out their gills (after a good roll around the mouth for any tasty bits). :lol:

Could I put the stones back on top of the filter sand? Though I feel that they would end up getting pretty mixed up in the sand when I clean the gravel.

I have an external filter with a UV sterilizer going continuously so I am not too worried about it packing down. I would rake through it to keep the top reasonably loose. I am not really concerned about plants either as I could happily leave the tank without anything apart from Java Fern tied to the logs that are in there.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Or maybe any other suggestions as to what I could use.

Thanks.

:D

Most filter sands are crushed to give them sharp edges. The sharp edge traps the dirt particles better. The reason this type of filter works well on pools is because the backflushing process cleans the muck out.

The sharp edges may cause some problems with your fish and damage their mouths. If it is used as an undergravel filter, you might find it packs down too much and has too little water flow. If it is put at the bottom and normal gravel on top it will go stale unless you use a gravel cleaner. The gravel clear will mix the two layers up exposing the sharp stones...

Thanks Warren

Sort of answers my question. If I am not using undergravel filters would it still go stale? What else can be used then as I dont like the look of the gravel I have so was looking for something much finer.

Cheers