Heaters and cycling?

David R

I've finally got my new 5' tank up and running. Filled it with about 2/5 old water from doing water changes on my other tanks and about 1/4 of the media has been sitting in the sump of my 4' for a few months, so hopefully that has given it a kick start! I'm not planning on putting any fish in it for at least 3 weeks until I can meet up with someone coming up from Christchurch who is going to bring up the sand I'm using (long story, but its only available from down there). So, is there any point in running the heaters for the next 3 weeks? Will the warmer water help the bacteria establish, or will I be just wasting power?

Agreed, it won't cycle without a source of ammonia. So, go buy some ammonia and dose the tank with a few drops a day. I think "Cloudy ammonia" at the grocery store is the right stuff. I've heard you should shake it, if it foams up it's the wrong stuff.

Maybe more like a teaspoon every day would work.

What the folks above have said.

You have moved some cycle bacteria in with the filter media, but unless you supply them some ammonia they wont multiply, and will in fact gradually die off.

One option is to get some 'crash test dummy' fish in there. A couple of goldfish, a bunch of danios or guppies. Something cheap and hardy. Because the tank is big, and the cycle has been jumpstarted they will survive. But by being there they will provide the system with some ammonia to keep things ticking over untill you get your permanant fish organised.

Ian

Agreed, it won't cycle without a source of ammonia. So, go buy some ammonia and dose the tank with a few drops a day. I think "Cloudy ammonia" at the grocery store is the right stuff. I've heard you should shake it, if it foams up it's the wrong stuff.

Got GF to bring home a bottle of "cloudy ammonia" from the supy tonight, its the Home Brand stuff from countdown, looks like it froths a little though. Not safe to use?

Because the only options I have for the first fish to add is a 15" ornate bichir who eats loads of meaty food and makes a lot of waste, or a redhead severum who I don't want to add first as he might get the idea its his tank [already gets pretty grumpy with the uarus]. Don't want to add the uarus as they're prone to whitespot, and I don't want to add the clown loaches for obvious reasons. If anyone has a big common pleco I could borrow for a few weeks it would be much appreciated...

David's tank is 5' and he wants to get it cycled and ready.

Whether it is a tank this size or a smaller one, if you are using fish to cycle does it matter how many fish you use. If you understand what I'm trying to say :-? , could you use 2 fish to cycle say a 10 gallon tank and 2 fish for a 55 gallon tank. Does the number of fish matter when cycling or once the tank is cycled to keep the good bacteria up? :-? :oops:

Caper

I've found another way to start up a new tank if you have others, and they are disease free, is when you do water changes to fill the tank with this water. Obviously gravel vac water full of solids is probably not the best. Another thing I do when starting a new filter is to clean some sponge filters from my breeding tanks (or cannister foam) and soak the dry filter media in the dirty water and the bacteria is transfered and you can add some Cycle to if it makes you feel better but if you use enough there is no need. Don't leave the filter not flowing for too long as this will kill the useful bacteria you just added. When it comes time to ad fish (have done it after a week with no ill effects) do a 1/3 waterchange with fresh water and all should be honky dory .... as long as you added enough filter water! Take a fresh water sample along to your local fish shop and see if they'll check the quality for you.

I always wondered if heated water cycled quicker ...... just presumed it did?