Survived long power outage!

Caper

Ok, I know that a lot of us worry about power outages something I never worried about till I had fish tanks. So, I thought I would share this with you all.

Without getting into the why's and details of no power here goes.

23 days with no power! Now lucky it was still summer here, well getting near the end of summer so covered all three tanks with blankets. Did not feed fish for the first few days. Every second day did a approximately 40 to 50% water change. After a few days, started feeding fish once a day on the same day that I (we) would do the water changes. This was after I had the fall so Ray would pour the water in for me.

Once I knew the power was going to be out for an unknown amount of time I took all three filters and cleaned them out. I knew any good bacteria would be dead by now anyway.

Once power restored set everything back up and breathed a huge sigh of relieve! Lost one tiger barb.

Still testing but so far everything is good.

Caper

Wow! 23 days is an amazing test of the tank's resilience and your patience. Well done.

How long ago did this happen? ie how many days since the power came back on? Are you continuing with water changes and/or other measures while the filters re-establish themselves?

Thanks for the kind words :bow::bow:

It has been back on now for 10 days and so far everything is going well! I didn't test today as I had to go somewhere after work so I will do so tomorrow and if need be do a water change.

As I said, would rather not get into the details of why power was out so long, not important. The important thing is that my fish, all but my one barb, survived!

Caper

Thanks Carlos :bow::bow:

Just tested all tanks so far the readings are all good, YAH!

Approximately how long do you think it will take the filters to get the "established", shoot can't think of word :oops: , good bacteria back???

I will keep testing for awhile yet. Do you think I should hit any kind of ammonia spike???

Opinions please :P Anyone?

Caper