Breeding Oscars

northland chic

Alot has happened to our 7ft tank in the last week, I sold and gave away some fish. We emptied it down to about a foot of water and moved it. Noticed yesterday the Black one had a tube slightly sticking out and it was a little grumpy but its always like that. Anyway I vacuumed them out yesterday and filled in their hole. They spent the next day digging it again and the white one had a tube out. Never had them both have tubes out at the same time. Just walked to the tank about an hour ago to find eggs in their "nest". They are still going through the motions but I think the majority of the eggs are laid. The white one is the female. I'm so excited! Won't get too excited I know their chances aren't good in the community tank and I don't know for certain the Black one is a male until I see wrigglers. But Wow after all this time! I knew they liked each other as we have had oscars before and they hated each other. So yay!! I would like to try to raise the fry if it gets that far. But anyway a couple of pics

DSCF0640.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

Thanks for replying. Lucky I got some brine shrimp eggs handy. They are still that colour but are not see through, are they meant to be? They gave up on their "nest" this afternoon and are now just swimming around. The white oscar goes back and looks but the silver dollars have eaten what eggs they could. Lucky I stole some this morning! I was going to go along the same lines as when I bred angels a few years ago. I figure being a cichlid also it can't be much different. Thanks again for replying NC

Heya

Congrats on the spawning :D

Our pair just bred recently and we took the eggs and raised them ourselves.

Viable Oscar eggs are normally more so a white creamy colour, almost a light tan, nowhere near as coloured as other species eggs. You will definately know whether or not they are fertile after a few hours of them being laid... the non fertile eggs pretty much fungus within a short space of time. It possibly would be a good idea next time to take the eggs as soon as you can :D Oscars alot of the time are not overly good parents, they can lose interest pretty quick or get carried away with the cleaning of the slate. If your eggs next time are viable and you see the odd area develop fungus, just scrape or lift the non viable area away carefully with a pair of tweezers :)

Keep us posted :D