Bulldozer fish

bulldogod

Just bought a jas cichlid and carnt believe how much stones it can move, rearranges the whole tank, when it starts moving the stones it seems like it starts getting territorial and chasing other fish, anyway is there any way to stop fish doing it? would having bigger pebble type stones help?

anyway is there any way to stop fish doing it?

Moving the stones or being aggressive towards other fish?

The only way to stop it moving gravel would be to glue it down. And if you want it to stop being aggressive towards other fish you'll need to give it a big enough tank to have its own territory. Think 1000L +

Even then they'd still try, IMO its one of their best traits. My old jag (~7") would dig out a pit about a foot in diameter between two large rocks, and right down to the glass with about 3" of gravel, piling it up to around 6-8" high in front. Every week I'd fill it in doing a gravel siphon, and he'd have a bit of a go at the siphon in protest, and as soon as I'd finished he would be digging it out again. I found he wasn't too aggressive other than when something else came near his pit, but I suppose at 7" he was only half grown.

I might even have a pic somewhere...

We looked after acouple of oscars and a jag in a 4ft , the oscars were spawning and building a nest in the gravel at one side , the jag had the other. Continually spitting stones at one another..very funny to watch!(treat the jag to live feeders now and again...they are fast!!)