Heres my new boy

Adrienne

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for stealing the thread but my female fighters look like that except their crowning on their bottom fin isn't that long (they're still young though so I'm hoping that their crowning grow longer). Anyway what would happen if I bred one of my females that look like that with a male (her brother) who has the same colouring with each other. Would their fry look the same as them or would create a mixture of different colours because the brother and sister? Also they're only between 1/2 and 3/4 CT so I'm hoping to perfect their crowning (the male looks really nice for a F1) how many times do I need to breed them to get perfect CTs?.

Got back into the country early Wed morning - the tank stunk to high heaven however there are about 60 fry that have survived. They are now in a clean healthy tank so hope that the stagnant water has not damaged them in anyway. They are a bit on the small side still but thats because they've been living on microworms and liquidfry while I've been away. Tonights the first feed of bbs that they have had.

On the plus side the parents spawned again today - not as many this time but at least I have a back up spawn.

I picked up a platinum blue crowntail male today, he's going to need a bit of feeding and tlc but hopefully he will be good. I'd really like a good blue ct female to put with him, I do have a couple of blue part cts which I will have to use otherwise.

You can breed brother and sister and you will get variations in the degree of crowning like the original spawn. However further down the track you will need to bring in new blood otherwise the body size will decrease. The other thing is that if you breed 1/2ct to 1/2 ct you will still only have 1/2cts. Use only the very best pair you have. To increase the percentage of crowntail you will need to introduce full cts as one of the parents.

Hope this makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Some update pics - fry are now 5 weeks old, have 34 of them still. Some better quality than others but some definitely looking like dad with good long rays. Growing pretty slowly though - between 1 - 1.5cm at the moment.

The second spawn with the same female were eaten.

The patinum blue I purchased lived not even 48 hours!

Dad again - he's had one more spawn with a yellow ct female but not sure how many fry at this stage (not many though).

redmalect.jpg

and a couple of the fry

babynov.jpg

babyct2nov.jpg

Think I'll get more females than males from him judging from what I've seen with a magnifying glass - theres more female looking fry than males at the moment, even at this early age. :wink:

He spends all day looking like that. He's a real poser :roll:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

here the up to date pics of this spawn. I only have 1 confirmed male and 1 that is a 'maybe' but a lot smaller and slower growing. A good mix of females with various colours, some with more crowning than others. I am going to put these females to a new male I have purchased in about another 4-5 weeks. Am not going to sell any of these as want to work on the ct's.

ct5dec08.jpg

ctdec08.jpg

ct3dec08.jpg

the male

ctmaledec08.jpg

and this male is by the same father but from a yellow 1/2ct female. He is about 5 weeks younger than the above spawn but is at this stage the only male once again. I have a mix of yellows, cambodian reds and like this fish blue/yellows so far.

yellowctmaledec08.jpg